Is this lilac salvageable?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Branana, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Branana

Branana Member

My neighbour cut his large, old lilac bush down to 8 or 10 inches from the ground to make room for a fence. This was in the early fall. Now just recently, within the past week, the lilac's root ball of about 18 inches deep has been dug out because the neighbour has had to do a septic field repair. The root ball is sitting at the edge of my property with probably a hundred tender suckers shooting out of it. Is there any hope for this plant making a move to my yard? My neighbour has given it to us to do with as we wish. It was an old, well-established plant, and I absolutely adore lilacs. All help appreciated.

2. Ken Scheffler

Ken Scheffler Member

I would be interested in knowing how this turned out.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Give it a well constructed hole filled with good soil, compost, perilite etc. and see what happens. I have a huge root ball for a rose in the same condition. We're going to go ahead and plant it and see what happens. 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained'. barb

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>Give it a well constructed hole filled with good soil, compost, perilite etc.<

Never do this, it often places newly planted stock at a disadvantage rather than improving results. Researchers first began to notice plants in amended planting hole backfill did not grow as much as control plants receiving no amendments before or during the late 1960s.