Acer palmatum 'Koyamadani nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by timnichols, Jul 26, 2010.

1. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Not too much is known about this recent Japanese introduction. This is my first year with the tree and it's growth habit seems quite peculiar. Does anyone know anything about this tree? Is it suppose to be pendulous or weeping?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No personal experience, but Yano's book has it as 'Koyamadani nishiki', looks to be the same leaf shape. Nippon no momiji website has it under yet another spelling, 'Kohyamadani nishiki' see here in original Japanese and babelfish translation. Note it mentions "unique leaf type like snow crystal", but no mention of growth habit.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. timnichols

Thanks maf!

I appreciate any and every bit of information on this Japanese maple as it is currently a bit of a mystery. Thank you so much for the link!

Tim

4. maf

Forgot to mention, Yano says introduced 1994.

Just in case you do not have the book here is the text:[QUOTE="Book for Maples" Masayoshi Yano]A cultivar from seedlings of Acer matsumurae grown wild in Shiga Prefecture. Its leaf lobe is short, wide and it has uneven surface. On the leaf, deep or pale pattern can be seen. In the spring, the leaf is green with brown edges, changing to green in summer. The autumn foliage is yellow.[/QUOTE]

5. timnichols

Maf,

Thanks again. Yano's Book form Maples is at the top of my priorities right now and I believe I will just have to cash in some extra maples and get it. I spent over 8 hours last night on the website you sent me.

Thanks,

Tim

6. maf

I've done the same myself, more than once, what a great site but can be a real time sink. So much information. Just the place for anyone who shares a Japanese maple affliction/addiction!

As well as the database of Acer cultivars the information on Japanese grafting practices and other propogation techniques is well worth a read.

7. MrMaple

MrMaple Member Maple Society

Thanks for the link Maf. I spent quite a bit of time reading through that page too. So much good information translated. Thanks again.