Identification: mouse scat fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The attached two photos were sent along by Chris Czajkowski in response to the Pilobolus BPotD last week.

Chris writes:

(this would be in alpine central-west British Columbia)

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow! Impressive fruiting! When I see growths on dung they are usually pretty minimal, but then I live in a place where there isn't that cozy comforting layer of snow for things to develop under.

The cups look short stalked, and I'm wondering if the cup rims are hairy (eyelash or fuzz)? It doesn't seem so from the photos, but a closer shot would be helpful.

My guess right now is Coprobia but I should investigate further, eg. what cups may be specific to mice perhaps, whether there are any less-hairy Cheilhymenia, and so on.

whee!
    frog

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Here in the Rockies, we get a similar fungus that grows on Marmot droppings. Marmots are smarter than mice and defecate in the same place throughout the winter months, giving the fungus constant nutrients. When the snow melts, BOOM!, you get what you see. Mice crap wherever they are and you don't get those nice piles. I have the name written down at home (not something i encounter everyday!) & promise to look it up in due time.

I'm interested to know whether we really know this is mouse droppings, if there are Marmots around, and the elevation of the scat. Ahh, the work of a mycologist.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Curious - why does that make them smarter? Any predator with a nose for marmot droppings just needs to sit and wait for a guaranteed dinner (and with a good nose, easy to sniff through snow, too).

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Mice don't have a wide range in the winter so they could easily be found by the same principal. It's all in the disease factor.

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

Byssonectria terrestris (Ascomycetes, Pezizales). Actually, the fungus likes ammonium nitrogen, not dung as such. In Europe, in particular, the species is restricted to places where European elk has urinated in the winter!

Cheers,

Harri Harmaja
    http://www.luomus.fi/users/harmaja/index.htm