Help to name a plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by akassam2, Jul 25, 2010.

1. akassam2

akassam2 Member

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this type of plant. I have attached a picture of it.

Thanks!

AK

Attached Files:

2. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

Looks like a Sedum - possibly Sedum telephium 'Autumn Joy'.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

If the blossoms stay white it's "Frosty Morn". "Autumn Joy" supposedly starts out white then turns pink, then darker pink to red and finally the seed heads turn brownish/bronze. Not to sure about the early color changes, mine blooms dark pinkish red and stays that way....barb

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Multiple cultivars of this type being grown. Flower color needs to be seen. Note: Autumn Joy translation of 'Herbstfreude', latter is true cultivar name. Use of Autumn Joy in its place in English speaking countries not correct: name of cultivar does not change with exporting of plant to countries outside place of origin, same as when a person goes on an overseas vacation.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron,
    That explains why no matter how I tried to find names for other colors in the books or google, everything came up "Autumn Joy".

So, is it safe to say - no mater the color, all plants like this are basically, incorrectly labeled "Autumn Joy" here in the States? And should be labeled 'Herbstfreude'? (how in the h--- do you pronounce that erbsfruid?)

(You are another person I have decided can NEVER die or at least until someone figures how to down load your
    vast knowledge to a computer.) ;))) barb