killing ivy?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by galeleo, Jul 23, 2010.

1. galeleo

galeleo Member

Hello! Ivy is creeping under the old fence amongst small rocks (hard to pull out the vines) between my neighbour's property and mine and I fear that, if it gets a better hold in the fence, it will pull it down. I keep cutting it back but it is relentless. I cannot access its source which is in my neighbour's yard (to the south of mine), between one of his bushes and the fence. My neighbour told me that if I need to prune his trees (for my view), to do so as long I can reach them from my yard. I know that neither of us want to bear the cost of replacing the fence and that my neighbour isn't interested in maintaining his unruly yard.

I understand that I can crush the leaves while they remain on the stalk to assist its demise. But what can I use to kill it, from my side? Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

Attached Files:

• ivy.jpg
      ivy.jpg
      File size:
      595.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

sounds to me like you have thought about this & worked with & may have to live with it, just as I do with the Lamium that comes in from the guy in back of me. I pull, spray with pickling vinegar, prull, spray, etc...

Not much to do unless you replace the fence & clean the whole area up. If it bugs you that much pay for the whole thing yourself. It's been done by many people who have become frustrated with these things.

gb.

3. galeleo

galeleo Member

Thanks, but I'm living on disability ($908 per month which gives me an income below the poverty level) and replacing the fence isn't an option. Not everyone is rolling in dough, gas brain, although many assume that everyone and everything is just fine. It ain't.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Given the circumstances it sounds like you will have to resort to chemical control. Many of the regular herbicides are laughed at by ivy, but usually the ones marketed as brush killer or stump killer work. The brand names and formulations will not be the same here as there, so I cannot name a specific product, but hopefully that will be enough to point you in the right direction.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ah, but in Vancouver, Maf, the chemical you're talking about is illegal. Galeleo, do you have any friends who keep goats? They'll end ivy problems in about 3 hours. If not, you'll have to resort to pickling vinegar and vigilance.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I knew some herbicides were banned in Vancouver, didn't realise it was all of them! I only use chemicals as a last resort, but it is nice to have a last resort.

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Hmm..I re-read my post & realize it can be construed as if I routinely chuck money at problems. It was, as I intended it, merely meant to express my frustration with these persistent plants & to expound on the quite extreme lengths to which one must sometimes go to get them under control.

However, pickling vinegar is fairly cheap & I have recently negotiated, with my Lamium-nurturing neighbour, his permission to spray 2 feet on his side of the fence.

Sorry - Must go now - have to climb in my private jet & visit my vineyard in Bordeaux. The claret isn't clear.

gb.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

More trouble with vines?