Chinese Wolfberry

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by hirundine, Jan 13, 2010.

1. hirundine

hirundine Member

Has anyone grown Chinese Wolfberry in B.C.? Is it a true vine? I am looking for planting info, regarding exposure, drought tolerance etc. I understand they are in the Nightshade family. That, some locals call a vine-like berry, wild growing, wolfberry. Is that a mistake? Or is a relative. There is limited info through google, though reading it helped me, to ordering from Richters.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Lycium barbarum from Northern China, and Lycium chinense from Southern China - the Chinese wolfberry.

I grow it in our backyard. It started as a cutting from my neighbour down the street. Last year was the best year yet. I harvested an estimated 10 lbs of fruits. Judging by it's size, this year's harvest will be even better.

They are like tiny teeny tomatoes - same family, of course. My favourite use is to mix them with pre-boiled rice. It sweetens up nicely and loses the slightly bitter after taste after cooking. We have tried cooking it in many different ways - in broils, in stir fries, stews, etc, and even sprinkling them into salads (adds some colour drama to the salad). It is pretty versatile.

It's not a true climbing vine - you have to give it a bit of help, much the same as a "climbing rose" is not truely a climber. But it has long, flexible, slender laterals that need support. The fruits ripen best and are sweeter in full sun. In part shade, the fruits have a bitter after taste - which I like. 10 lbs is a lot of Wolfberry, but they freeze well. If you intend on freezing the fruits - do not wash it - just put them in zip lock bags and throw them into the freezer.

3. direct00

direct00 Member

Thanks for the information - looking forward to growing some :)

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I see that some nurseries are starting to offer this plant. A bit pricey, considering that they are easy to propagate.

This must be a sign of growing interest in it. Not surprising, since all Goji products are expensive (juice can cost as much as US$30 - 45 for 32 ounces!), and you can't get fresh berries unless you grow it yourself.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010