Root rot of Sweet Cecily

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wezel, Jul 19, 2010.

1. wezel

wezel Member

A three year old, healthy Sweet Cecily plant has just wilted and died to the ground. When I dug it up - a smelly brown rot was on the roots.

the location is full sun and the plants get watered three times weekly - deeply. Other plants in the same bed do not appear to have any problems.

Any suggestions would be welcome - it has not been easy to find the plants at local nurseries and the client really liked the plant, so I would love to get some feedback.

2. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

Three times weekly is a lot. Cut back on the watering to only when it is dry to the first knuckle on your finger - if it is mulched clear the mulch for testing moisture. Root rot is caused almost solely by over watering or a lack of drainage in the area (water can't drain or evaporate properly).

3. wezel

wezel Member

thanks SOOOO much.

Louise

4. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

I would also cut back to watering the other plants only when the bed is dry...they may simply be a bit more resistant to root rots.

5. wezel

wezel Member

What I have in that bed is a very strange combo of incredibly hot and dry, plus lousy drainage (clay). You can water in the morning and by nightfall it's as dry as a bone and as hard as a rock.

The Roses love it, the Butterfly bush is one of the largest I've seen, the Iris, Rudbeckia and Daylilies seem to thrive there. The Sedums ( groundcover) go wild, but the large (Autumn Joy and Brilliant) sedums remain small and weedy.

As I said - the Sweet Cecily grew large and was very healthy until this week - when it suddenly caved to rot.

I'm wondering if the huge amount of rain we've experienced in the past month has simply put it over the edge, so to speak.

the young lad I have designated to water has been told not to water if it has rained significantly, however ....young lads being what they are, he could well be over doing it.