Plum tree ???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lody, Jul 19, 2010.

1. lody

lody Member

our friends have a plum tree that the leaves are all curled up like leave curl but the leaves are all covered in hundreds of theses spore like tentacles all over the tree growing out of the underside of the leaves, but not all the leaves, the tentacles are creamy green color and almost look like little inch worms but they are not alive at all they are just there and the leaves are still all green aswell the hang down about n inch to two inches off the leaves, the plum are red in color and do not have theses tentacles on them. is this a type of plum tree or is there something wrong with the tree ??
    I have attached a few photos of it

Attached Files:

2. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

Looks like some kind of Gall Mite.

3. lody

lody Member

they dont seem to move they more look like they are growing out of the leaves themselves, and they are hard to the touch kind of like a thick root or something, havent noticed any holes on the leaves either, but didnt really look for that.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yep galls. The mite or wasp is developing inside and will burrow out when mature.

5. lody

lody Member

how do you treat the tree for theses, and will the fruit still be ok ???

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pick off the worst-affected leaves and bin them. In autumn, sweep up all the leaves and compost them well away from the tree. That should stop, or at least reduce, the re-infestation rate next year.

Yes, the fruit is OK.

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

If you have access to a microscope, slice open several of the Gauls and look for the critter inside. Usually a form of tiny worm like thing. Very interesting.

As Michael said pull off the most infected leaves and continually pick up any fallen leaves. Burn them If you can. If not bag them securely and put in trash. I would not use them in compost. It might just spread them to other areas.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't keep or reuse anything even looks diseased. Good luck...barb