Raspberry losing leaves!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Eric La Fountaine, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello... I am trying to grow my 1st red rasberry plant. I used miracle
    grow soil, and tap water once a week. The stems are dark purple, leaves are
    yellowing from the bottom up and falling off, leaves are curling down too.
    I think they are goiong to die!

Can you help?

Best Regards
    Michael

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2004
  2. Linda Poon

Linda Poon Member

3. Eryngiums-R-Us

Eryngiums-R-Us Member

UBC0002
    Hi,
    Don't panic!

What you may see, that is dying, is this year's "floricane" (flower/fruit-bearing cane) upon which raspberries develop. After harvest, these canes will die off (normally) and you should have noticed new (green) canes shooting up by now (Sept 30). These new (replacement) canes are called "primocanes", which will become floricanes next year; thus, mo' berries!
    Quoting from WSU's Bulletin EB1640 Growing Small Fruits for the Home Garden :
    Two types of raspberries are available to the home gardener. Summer bearing or June-bearing types initiate flowers on first-year canes, or primocanes, from late August to early September (Table 3). The canes overwinter, bloom, and fruit the following spring and summer, then die. While the fruiting canes, or floricanes, are bearing, new primocanes emerge for the next year's crop and continue the life of the planting. Root systems are perennial.

So, unless the plant has complete died off (i.e., turned brown, dry, has dead brown, dried roots) without any signs of new growth, you should still have hope. I would endeavor to obtain more (or replacement) plants, so you have enough for adequate pollenization. The recommended number of plants per hill is usually 4-6.

(NOTE: Since it is very possible to spread soil-borne diseases from one berry patch to another, it's always advisable to obtain your berry stock from sources that carry
    disease-free plants -- just ask them.)

Helpful References:
    [_] WSU's Bulletin EB1640 Growing Small Fruits for the Home Garden
    [_] WSU's Integrated Pest Management for Raspberries:http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/comhort/nooksack/ipmweb/Post-Harvest.html
    [_] Stella Otto's book: The Backyard Berry Book -- A Hands-on Guide to Gardening Berries, Brambles, & Vine Fruit in the Home Garden (ISBN: 0-9634520-6-1)

PS You should normally see your first edible raspberry during the week of the Summer Solstice (@June 21st).

Please let me know if you have any questions about this info.
    Cheers, LW
    UBC0002