Evans Cherry Tree doen't bloom

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sblake, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sblake

sblake Member

My Evans Cherry Tree is about 4 years old, bushy and about 3 foot high. It has never bloomed. Is it too young? When or if it blooms, does it require another plant of same kind or another fruit variety?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's called cross pollination because it results from the crossing of two different varieties. Are the flower buds of the variety you have expected to be winter hardy there? Maybe they aren't. No buds, no bloom.

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Good Morning Sblake,
    Where about are you in northern Alberta? In Edmonton Evans can even start to fruit two years after planting. Evans is self-fruitful - in other words you do not need another plant.
    Peace
    Thean

4. flttrby184

flttrby184 Member

Hi! My Evans Cherry is about 4 yrs old and this Spring I thought it had died. We have had many late frosts here in MOntana and it took quite a while for my Evans to leaf out. I have yet to get a cherry but looks like I may get some this year.

For winterizing make sure to cover base of tree (roots) with plenty of mulch. Tree also needs some wind protection, at least it does here at the Eastrn front of the Rockies.

No other tree required as it is self=pollinating

5. dino

dino Active Member

sblake:

Sorry for your problem.
    Evans is great; and reliably hardy here in St-Albert.
    Flower buds, though, are another thing entirely. Once they've started receiving sap, it takes little frost to kill the buds. I expect that's your problem.

Since your tree is so small, why not do something heroic next spring: protect it from frost, and see what happens?

Nice to see Thean is still tuned in; I have a question for you.

My Evans has been blooming for (I swear!) ten weeks! A few buds at a time. Yesterday's rain/humidity have brought out new flower buds today.
    My only complaint is that the usual pollinators finished their yearly cycle weeks ago.

What's with that Thean?

TIA,
    dino

6. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Good Morning Dino,
    Sorry I' won't be of any help as I do not know the answer. The behaviour of your Evans has me scratching my head. Evans in this area should have finished flowering weeks ago and should be about the size of the first joint of the pinkie. Evans has been known to produce one or a few flowers outside the usual blooming period but not in the manner you described. What's the condition of your tree? Please keep me updated.
    Peace
    Thean

7. dino

dino Active Member

Thean:

Glad to hear from you.
    Head-scratching: me too!
    My Evans is +/- ten years old, and appears perfectly healthy.

Best guess: inadequate deep subsoil moisture. But if that's so, why did I get a huge bloom on a plum 4 metres away? Plus, I've always taken as gospel that inadequate moisture tends to force plants to bloom heavily

My neighbourhood is underlain by clay. While I guess that's not good, I don't see how that explains the long blooming.
    Also not good (I guess): I'm letting my lawn grass grow right up to the Evans' trunk.

'S about it, Thean. Thanks for replying.

dino