Identification: Here's More Plant Identification

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mark sooke, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mark sooke

mark sooke Member

I'm learning lots about all the plants on my new property. I hope you don't mind me asking for more help identifying some of them.

1. A plant with nice bell- like flowers that is growing all over the place. I'm not sure if it is a weed or a self-seeding flower. It is about 2 feet tall

2. pink flower about a 12 inches tall.

3. Very bright purple-pink flower about 12 inches tall. I'm not sure if it is a different variety of the same plant as 2.

4. Very large leaves on a low growing plant growing on the edge of the woodland.

5. Very common weed vine growing all over with purple flowers. I don't know what it is called.

6. This picture is not very good. The plant has lots of tiny light blue flowers on long thin stocks.

7. Two photos of a bush growing on the edge of the woodland. It is about 5 feet tall with lots of sprays of very tiny flowers. I think it is a common native plant as I have seen a number of them around Sooke.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

1. Aquilegia spp. (Columbines) - these are only a weed if you think they are. Most people cultivate them.
    2. I want to say Penstemon
    5. Vetch of some sort. It's a horribly invasive plant; I normally pull it up when I find it.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

#4 is Vanilla Leaf, Achlys triphylla...dried out, the leaves smell strongly of vanilla.

#7 looks like ocean spray Holodiscus discolor.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably A. vulgaris
    Dianthus barbatus
    Same
    Achlys
    Vetch
    Myosotis
    Holodiscus

5. mark sooke

mark sooke Member

Thanks for everyone's help. Ron, I am impressed with your extensive knowledge of plants. Thanks for sharing it.

6. lolynightingale

lolynightingale Member

3. looks very much like "oeillet de poète" in French, which means "poet's carnation" ; sweet William in English, very sweet indeed and sweet perfume. I love them and got some in my garden.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

With all the crossing that has been done with Dianthus it's possible the third one it not a pure D. barbatus, otherwise the dense round head terminating the main stem is characteristic of that species.