Pear Tree Disease Identification

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nealf, Jun 21, 2010.

1. nealf

nealf Member

Hello,
    I need some help identifying two/three diseases that my pear tree has.
    Please see attached pictures:

Leaf 1:
    yellow spots with red dots in the the middle. I suspect it might be Pear Trellis Rust but the pics I have found on the web do not look similar. Need confirmation from the experts.
    Also the underside of the leaf has brown lesions along the leaf veins (see pic), is this a different disease or symptomatic of Trellis Rust.

Leaf 2:
    Brown dots on top and underside of leaf. Looks like two different forms of scale insects. I suspect Pear Leaf Blister Mite but whats the other one? Again need confirmation.

I am located in S. Ontario. I sprayed this tree with Lime Sulphur last winter and also in Spring, it has also received two sprays of Copper solution (the last spray being about 8 weeks ago). The yellow/red spots on Leaf 1 began in the last 2 weeks.

If there are some other sprays I should be using (e.g. Malathion) please let me know.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. nealf

nealf Member

bump anybody??

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Red dots in yellow spots definitely Pear Trellis Rust, Eventually it will produce filaments hanging down about a quarter inch from the underside of the red dots. Two years ago, when I as a Master Gardener. first started seeing this brought into our clinics, there wasn't a lot of local info. They said we didn't have it here on the west coast - wellllll we do now. There is much more info available on the internet now. Check out sites that are listed as being from a University (edu), extension office (ext). The one I've listed below is from Oregon U. The is also an old set of conversations on UBC from a year or so ago.

Information on Pear -- Trellis Rust, An Online Guide to Plant ...
    See Also: Juniper -- Pear Trellis Rust ; and Pear -- Pacific Coast Pear Rust. Cause: Gymnosporangium fuscum, a fungus. The disease affects pear and juniper ...
    plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=811

Hope this helps....barb

4. nealf

nealf Member

Thanks very much for the reply. The other disease on Leaf #2 is confirmed as Pear Blister Mites.

Well I am going to try to cut off the leaves that have the trellis rust and also the leaves with the blister mites and then apply some copper colution to the tree.

And they told me nothing can kill a pear tree which is why I bought it after having problems with cherry and peach trees (I think next time around I'm going to skip growing fruit trees altogether!)