what is eating my climbing rose?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by seatkins, Jun 19, 2010.

1. seatkins

seatkins Member

This is year two for this climbing Royal Gold and the leaves have holes in them and white spots (see pic #1). I've noticed that the newer, larger leaves have been unaffected so far. I have looked for insects on several occasions but have only seen a few ants in the vicinity. I live on the south shore of Nova Scotia. Any ideas...?? What can I do about this problem??? I have also planted a morning glory (picture 3) next to it and that also has the leaves eaten around the edges.

Thank you for your help ahead of time. Last year I appreciated all the help with my Japanese maple.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. seatkins

seatkins Member

Thank you!! I looked on the underside of the leaves this morning and found the culprits. I killed 30-40 rose slugs and am going to get an insecticidal spray right now.

4. CHARIJI

CHARIJI Member

Could try to make your own safer's soap soln. 2 tsps to 1qt--put into spray bottle and spray any 'soft-bodied' pests ie aphids, looper catepillar- won't work on hard-shelled bugs.--this way you save some money, plus the 'good bugs' that might otherwise get destroyed with the insecticide.