Using household vinegar on bent grass

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca Active Member

As we enjoy our birds, including those who feed on lawn bugs, we dont want to use
    chemicals to get rid of weeds, including bent grass. Ive read that vinegar is a good alternative, spray carefully on a warm day, sometimes a repeat is necessary, and it will kill most items.

Anyone had experience with this? Thanks Ellis

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Beware of damaging the soil, note also formula strong enough to take out weeds in desired manner then amounts to a pesticide itself as a result.

3. CHARIJI

CHARIJI Member

I was given a 'non-chemical'?? formula for getting rid of weeds in lawns, between pavers, etc.--It
    consisted of VINIGAR, dish soap, and salt. I generously applied it , and found a year later, that plants in the vicinity (ie a lovely 2 yr.old Alberta Spruce), had lge. patches of 'dead needles' on it. I should have known better, as of course it soaks into the soil and hits whatever roots are down there.--
    so it has to be used with caution.!!

4. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Risk of burning turfgrass you want to keep, too.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

..gosh! Leave out the salt. Enough of that will sterilize the soil so nothing will grow, for a long time.

Vinegar & detergent has proved to be effective for me on many weeds, in such places as cracks in driveway/patio. This is the second year I have used it. I ONLY use it as a spot application & certainly do not apply more than is necessary to wet the the leaves. I have not noticed any deleterious effects (as yet). Please bear in mind that my level of use & areas sprayed are quite limited. I like to believe that it is better than commercial alternatives...but?? Hand or mechanical weeding remains the best system for me in most cases....sigh. Poor old knees!

Vinegar is not approved as a herbicide in BC. Please make up your own mind whether you use it yourself on your own property.

gb.