Emerald Cedar - tips turning brown

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wezel, Jun 16, 2010.

1. wezel

wezel Member

I'm in Southern Ontario, in zone 5-6. A client of mine has a mature Emerald Cedar on the front lawn. It has been healthy and shown no signs of decline, until recently - I noticed that the tips have begun to turn brown - about 2 to 3 inches up the stem - not all the stems but enough to notice. I examined the tips but couldn't actually see any pest, so am wondering what to do.

the lady wants me to prune out any brown, but I want to find out what others think the problem might be before embarking on that route..

Suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

By two to three inches "up the stem", do you mean along the branch 2" to 3" from where it meets the main stem?

3. wezel

wezel Member

The brown starts at the tip of some branch stems, and goes for about 2 - 3 inches away from the tip and towards the thicker part of the branch stem, and ultimately toward where the branch meets the main trunk.

this doesn't seem to affect all the branches - for now at least.

L

4. wezel

wezel Member

Darn, I was over there today and I realize that the tree is not as I erroneously said an Emerald Cedar but a Red Cedar.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably a blight, many questions about similar damage to arborvitaes seen on the internet.

6. wezel

wezel Member

Thanks Ron. I've noticed quite a few other ornamental evergreens showing similar symptoms since I posted the question.

I guess now the big question is can this be treated in any way?

Louise