Propagation: How to Pollinate an Orchid?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SvenLittkowski, Jun 20, 2010.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi,

I have a blooming Brassolaeliocattleya 'Rustic Spots' (a hybrid of the Cattleya Landate and the Brassolalia Richard Mueller), and wouldn't mind to pollinate it's blooms, since I hope to get seed pots. Thanks for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. SvenLittkowski

*bump*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Pollination can be dependent on the species involved. In some cases it is not difficult but growing the tiny seeds which are capable of literally flying in the breeze to maturity requires at least some degree of lab skills including sterile conditions. Once the seeds are started in agar in order to replicate the material Mother Nature provides naturally in the forest can be complicated and transporting the seedlings once established to a good growing medium can be tricky.

We grow several hundred hybrids and species but I have never attempted this personally. However, I did attend a class in Miami, FL at a local orchid lab some years ago. Once the seeds have germinated it can take several years to as long as 7 years for a plant to become fertile which is why the majority of orchids are now grown in a form of tissue culture.

These links (courtesy of an acquittance in South America) may help:

Pollination
    http://www.njorchids.org/articles/pollination/pollination.htm

Seed raising:
    http://www.content4reprint.com/hobbies/how-to-grow-orchids-from-seed.htm

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

5. SvenLittkowski

Thanks a lot, photopro and kevind76. I made the pollination. That was yesterday evening.

Today evening, I see some change in the blossoms. They are collapsing slowly, like closing. The the photo comparisons of both orchids before and after. The interval is quite exactly 24 hours.

I think, it is normal that the orchid blossoms close after (successful?) pollination, right?

Also, I see the first time a darker area on the stem behind the blossoms of the BLC. Can you read all these signs?

Attached Files:

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Good job! Not all orchid flowers will fade right after pollination, but I assume it is common. The ovary is right behind the flower, and you will see it swell up. The flower will eventually fall off. It looks like you pollinated both of them. Did you pollinate plant A to plant B, and the reverse? Make sure you keep records or which was the pod parent and which was the pollen parent. The results can be very different. Do some checking as to how long it takes for a typical Cattleya pod to mature, then get ready to do some flasking! Some people sterilize the green pod, and some wait until it has split. You'll probably have a few months to wait, for sure.

7. SvenLittkowski

Hi again. And thanks for the cheers!

But it looks, it was not working out. Two, three days later, all blossoms hanged down, and their stems were weak, too. o fruit ripening. Alas. Next time it might work better...