Red Oak Tree Pruning??

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by CarolK, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CarolK

CarolK Member

Where on here can I find out information on how to properly prune a Red Oak Tree? and when would be the best time of the year?

Thank you

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What are the details of your situation?

3. CarolK

CarolK Member

We have had the tree for about 2 years, and it is now starting to really grow, but it is growing quite funny with just 3 branches basically. One straight up and 2 off to the side, that are getting quite long and heavy.

4. Ron B

Gawky habit typical of Quercus rubra, grows quite open for a long time - as do ginkgo trees. If there are no crossing/rubbing branches, maybe there is not an issue.

As long as planting site is big enough for this brontosaurean species.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  5. CarolK

CarolK Member

Well, I am concerned that it should be pruned because of the branches getting too heavy that they will just snap and break. I was under the impression that if one prunes the tree it will grow out in different areas and fill out rather than growing the funny way that it is. I have read also that it should only be pruned at certain times of the year?

6. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I'm not an oak expert but generally (perhaps because of a few maples I own) I feel late winter to be a good time. Before the tree starts pushing buds and will bleed more.

Can you put a picture up?

How high up are the odd two branches? Remember they're not going to grow up higher with the tree, just get bigger where they are. 99% of yard trees are pruned up to AT LEAST six feet and encouraged to grow in a habit which allows mowing. Strongly pyramidal trees like bald cypress are an exception but sometimes they're pruned up also.

What look are you going for? My small purple/pink beech is going to have a low branching habit. Them pink tinged leaves are going to be low in everyone's face. I don't care if I have to kill all the grass around it.

Oh, and there is a science to determining proper branching angles. Too low/tight of a "Y" can be a bit of a problem. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

7. CarolK

CarolK Member

I am just looking for the bushy tree with a nice shape. The way it is now, its looking not quite right?

Here is some photos of the tree

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Ron B

Tree looks pretty normal for the species, definitely do not arbitrarily whack any of it back trying to make it unnaturally dense.

Are you aware of how big this species grows? If present and successful for long enough this specimen will eventually be lifting the pavement, its stem base filling all of that corner of the lawn. For an older local example, the University of Washington has one 91' tall with a trunk 15' 3" around (roughly 5' thick), and an average crown spread of 112' 6" (~2005).