Acer Palmatum Waterfall eventual height?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Justine M, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

I got an AP Waterfall this spring that is about 12 inches high and (for the sale price I paid) I think it has a fairly nice whorl of branches surrounding the little trunk.

My question is will the stem/trunk eventually grow higher? I'm not clear if the branches are grafted onto dwarf stock or if it naturally grows this way from seed. There is a joint about 4 inches up the plant suggesting the dwarf stock option is more likely.

I was drawn to the beauty of this cultivar after having seen several 4 - 5 foot tall specimens in nurseries. I'm hoping this little one I purchased has that potential.

I read the archived posts relating to Waterfall but they don't seem to talk about this question.

Thanks.

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi. your 'Waterfall' is almost certainly grafted on a vigorous rootstock and will easily reach the heights mentioned, possibly 10 feet eventually, given enough time.

The natural growth habit will be mound-like, slightly wider than tall. If you desire more initial height to the main stem, for the branches to cascade from, you will have to stake a leader for a couple of years. This is probably what was done to the ones you saw at the nursery, (unless they were simply grafted high in the first place).

3. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi here are several pics of our waterfall,we bought it 3 years ago and it is from grafted stock,we paid 225.00 and it was 2 inch caliper,its grown very good here.they grow up to 6-10 foot depending on the area we live northeast usa and it like it here,sorry having problem adding pic will try later

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Here are three images of my AP Waterfall. You'll see a little wooden wedge I put between two branches to try to prevent them from crossing and laying upon one another. This plant was on sale and I am hoping it will fill out and be transformed into the beautiful more mature specimens I have seen. I have never seen any other small ones like mine. Can those familiar with this variety in an immature form let me know how it compares with 'the norm'? Also, some of the mature forms I have seen had twisted trunks just where the branches emanate. Is that a bonsai trick anyone is familiar with?

Attached Files:

5. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi here are some pics of our waterfall

Attached Files:

6. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thank you for posting those Myles. It's quite tall! How high has it grown in the three years you've had it? Does your tree's inner trunk have the same look as mine?

7. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi our plant has grown about1-1/2' since we bought it, its hard to see the stem but it appears to be the same, ours was grafted as with most. hope yours does well

8. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thanks Myles. Your tree is lovely. Thanks for sharing photos and info.