British Columbia: Bug on my rose - should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by emilymackinnon, Jun 13, 2010.

1. emilymackinnon

emilymackinnon Member

I only just dived into patio gardening this year, so I'm completely at sea. A few weeks ago, I started finding these beetles (photo attached) on my climbing rose. As far as I can see, they're doing some minor damage - eating leaves and so on. My blooms have been small and short-lived since the bugs showed up, though, so I'm worried they're doing more fundamental damage to the plant. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Resemblance to Fuller rose beetle, Pantomorus cervinus.
    Adults feed on foliage; larvae chew off root hairs and girdle lateral roots.
    Take a look at this excellent site:

http://bugguide.net

You can submit a photo for ID, search by typing a name into the box at upper right of screen, or click on the beetle image to left---or all of these! Warning: if you are at all interested in insects, spiders, and the like...it's easy to wander off into other intriguing categories.

Good luck in your search, and with evicting these critters from your rose.
    Welcome to the Forum!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Resembles black vine weevil. This IS a garden pest in this region, the adults notching the leaves of susceptible plants, the grubs gnawing the roots.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Vine weevil! This is a real pest here as well. It is more common to find the crescent shaped grubs in the soil. Get to know what they look like and kill any that you find.They do so much damage to the roots that they can kill shrubs.

Some plants seem to be targeted rather badly.They especially love plants in pots.

There is a very effective way to get rid of the grubs using a biological control. Nematodes.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1...isch:1&btnG=Search+images&q=vine weevil grubs

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/vineweevil.htm

5. emilymackinnon

emilymackinnon Member

Thanks a million for your help, everyone! (And thanks for your welcome, togata57!) I'm relieved to know what's been eating my rose. The poor thing looks very half-hearted.

I'm off to find some nematodes today!

6. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

I don't think the nematodes will deal with the adults, and you don't want them laying eggs elsewhere and coming back to haunt you. They do make a very satisfying crunch when stood upon, and don't move fast so are easy to catch. Old gardening books say to shake the plant over a sheet at night so as to get as many as possible, easy with a patio pot. I don't hate much, but these I do hate.