5' tall household fern

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tvreynolds11, Jun 12, 2010.

1. tvreynolds11

tvreynolds11 Member

We have owned this fern for 15 years. I have reason to believe it may be toxic to our new cat who occasionally chews on the leafs, but my research has not divulged the identification of this plant. I'm attaching 3 photos, one being a close-up of a frond and the other a close-up of one of the seeded appendages it sends out from time to time, seasonally I believe.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Neanthe bella or similar.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. tvreynolds11

tvreynolds11 Member

I don't know. I looked up the Chamaedorea elegans and it says it's a dwarf palm. This is 5' tall and growing. Also, the tiny round fruits (or seeds?) are a banana yellow on a green stalk, and they are a bit smaller than a peppercorn. So.....hmmm.

5. tvreynolds11

tvreynolds11 Member

But, yes, in every other way this looks like all the photos of the Chamaedorea elegans, even though it's never developed black fruit. It must be it. Thank you so much! According to the lists I've viewed, it's also called a Parlor Palm and is safe for cats. I'm glad I don't need to find a new home for it after 15 years! However, here goes my 6' tall Crown of Thorns and my Aloe plant. Very toxic. (sigh.)

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And "Dwarf" is a very relative designation. In palms and bananas, it means 8' tall or less....

In terms of kitty munching your plants - try growing her some of her own. Cats love spider plants (Tradescantia), wheatgrass, and mine also likes beet greens - if you show your cat that she has her own stock of salad greens, she'll stay away from your other plants. Mine is an absolute veggie fanatic, but I've never had a problem with her eating Aloes, Euphorbias (like Crown of Thorns), or Aroids (Dieffenbachia, Anthurium, Philodendron, and their relatives) - those plants produce very bitter substances in their leaves, and often the tiniest hint of a nibble is enough to warn them away from taking a larger bite. Cats are pretty fast learners.

Also, if your crown of thorns is nearly 6' tall, it's likely out of reach for cat-nibbles, and therefore not something to be so concerned about.

7. Tropical Foliage

Tropical Foliage Member

I'm no good at ID-ing plants, I just don't have the experience. I will say however; what a beauty of a plant. Looks awesome.

I see two trunks or stems I guess, is it one plant with two trunks or two plants?

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

C. elegans is a solitary palm so multiple seedlings are combined in one container.