Rare Rhodo?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by joZ, Jun 6, 2010.

1. joZ

joZ Active Member

I was told this is a rare rhododendron from Vancouver Island.
    We mistreated it (unintentionally) in its formative years and it has taken 5 years to get it to this point. Can anyone determine from the size and style of its leaves what kind of rhodo it may become? It has yet to bloom... I don't know how big it needs to be before it does so.

Also... we mis-placed it in front of a large tree and now it has grown too big. We need to move it. When would be a good time? We live in North Vancouver.

Thanks. I'll look forward to your comments.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try Rhododendron macrophyllum if it's native to Vancouver Island.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not that one. Looks like it could be R. calophytum. But there are many other wild species native to other parts of the world, as well as numerous garden hybrids, both intentional and spontaneous grown in local gardens: seed taken from cultivated examples of both groups yields unnamed hybrid mongrels.

4. joZ

joZ Active Member

Thanks Ron B and chimera.
    Yes, Ron, I agree... after looking at the leaves between the two suggested I think that the calophytum is probably a better match. With that said, after reading about the caolphytum I will definitely have to move the plant. It could grow to be a very large shrum or 30 foot tree !! Yikes. I had nooooo idea. If you know of any tricks to transplanting these let me know. I should probably do it soon as it is already in a bit of a tight spot next to and under a large 20 ft hybiscus

5. Ron B

Wait until the new growth matures in fall. Then pop it out with a spade, rhododendrons tend to produce fine, dense fibrous roots that are easily handled.

6. joZ

joZ Active Member

Really? Wait?
    I was expecting someone to tell me to do it today! (in the pouring rain)
    Ok. I will take your advice.
    Especially since I've already almost killed it a dozen times.
    I am just worried that it'll really grow this summer and then getting it out from under the tree will be very hard and injurious to the root system that you say is quite sensitive.

7. Ron B

I posted they were "easily handled", not that they were sensitive. New top growth comes in flushes, often only one flush per year under ordinary conditions: the shoot it has now is unfolding, will not get much longer than it is already - and is liable to be all the top growth it produces until next spring. No need to cut the roots while it is still developing a new shoot. Conditions for planting and transplanting hardy stock are optimal in fall, moved sooner your plant will have to cope with summer conditions right after the roots have been cut.

8. joZ

joZ Active Member

aaaaaahhhhhh... I see oh wise one.
    Thanks. That detailed explanation really helps.
    Grasshopper

9. Ron B

I'm hearing a flute.