British Columbia: Pergola needs a plant!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by joans, Jun 3, 2010.

1. joans

joans Member

I'm on Vancouver Island, and have a pergola that needs a climber or vine on it. The pergola is partially under some tall fir trees, so the ground gets very dry in summer. It also has shade until mid-day and gets a bit of wind from the north, especially in winter. I want to grow something in a large container so I can keep it from drying out in the summer. What are my best options? I like the idea of a grape or kiwi - would they survive? A flowering vine would also be an option. Appreciate any suggestions.

2. sfoodie

sfoodie Member

I don't quite understand, you want go a grape or kiwi in a container? I think that's a recipe for the plant drying out. I put tomatoes in pots last year and that's all they did was dry out. There's no way to put the plant in the ground? A good eating grape is Himrod seedless green grape or Coronation seedless red. Hope this helps.

3. joans

joans Member

Perhaps you are right. Maybe I should try to amend the soil and plant something directly in the ground. I thought using a pot may be a good 'short cut' but evidentally all strong climbers perform better with roots in the soil. I guess short cuts don't pay off in the long run. Thanks for the nudge!

4. sfoodie

sfoodie Member

Also the grape will need full sun.... maybe this location is too shady for a grape. Clematis climb and don't mind some shade. Kiwis will also want sun. I'm still learning about gardening but there is a minimum of sun required for the full sun plants. Does anyone know? Is 5 hours a day of sun considered full sun??

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Amending of individual planting holes for anything other than very small-growing plants not productive. Roots in shade, sun in tops for clematis. So that might be a good bet, provided soil and maintenance situation adequate. Small-flowered kinds easier to establish and maintain than large-flowered hybrid clematis, which (like other large-flowered hybrid garden plants) need a bit of fussing to do well, even survive (Clematis Wilt and slugs can be quite destructive to these).

If you can visit local collections with climbers on display such as Butchart Gardens and perhaps Horticulture Center of the Pacific (not sure about climbers on structures being demonstrated there) maybe you can decide what to do based on that experience.

If you can get over to Vancouver they have plenty of them to look at in the UBCBG and the Van Dusen Botanical Display Garden.