"Summer" grafting with photos

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kbguess, Jun 3, 2010.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well it really isn't summer, but my maples are in the 'rest' phase, so I thought I'd try graft or two. This thread won't be as extensive as K4's thread, but I thought I'd show my summer grafting technique. The bulk of my summer grafting will be done in July/August, but I thought I'd see how an early attempt would go.

IMG_5922.jpg IMG_5916.jpg IMG_5917.jpg
    Tools are parafilm, razor and cutting board. Rootstock with dry rootball. Scion

IMG_5918.jpg IMG_5924.jpg IMG_5925.jpg
    Trim leaves from scion and make tapering cut. Thin slice into rootstock

IMG_5929.jpg IMG_5930.jpg IMG_5931.jpg
    Begin parafilm wrap and tie in scion. Bag with clear bag.

IMG_5932.jpg
    Put in 50% shade house covered by white plastic bag. Update in 10 days.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Oooh! Good on ya, Keith. Now you have me excited for summer grafts, although it will probably be a couple of months before I can try it here. My trees are still pushing like crazy with the warmth and TONS of rain we're having this year (including the 15 inches in 36 hours the first of May). Even some of my supposedly dwarf varieties like Tiny Tim have put on a foot of growth. But I'm not complaining. Those long, juicy stems will make great scions! LOL!

3. kbguess

K4,

that sounds like a deluge... Hope none of your plants suffered. We've been wet but not particularly warm till the past week.

I saw that rootstock sitting out today and got the itchy grafting fingers. I am sure you know what I mean. I'm hooked.

4. Kaitain4

Yes, I don know what you mean. I may have to find a plant tomorrow that's not pushing and do JUST ONE! :)

5. TJoe

TJoe Member

Thank you kbguess for sharing this with pictures.

6. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Everybody gets that itch Keith. I broke off a couple of 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' branches a week ago and grafted about 10 off of them. Never hurts to experiment!
    As Katain mentioned trees here in the south are making up for the last couple of years.
    I was just noticing numerous trees pushing out new growth today.

I guess i will have to spend the time setting up a few air layers til mid july or so.

7. kbguess

Photo from today.
    Looks like the graft is beginning to push.
    Now it comes out of the plastic and into the shade house.

acerupdate.jpg

8. Kaitain4

This weekend I started summer grafting. I really don't plan on doing a lot this time, since I had rotten luck last year. But I have better understock and with luck I'll see more success. I'm limited on scion wood as well, since I have so many trees still pushing out new growth. They don't want to slow down this year!

Keith, update us on your earlier grafts!

Attached Files:

9. kbguess

K4

I only have done 2 summer grafts so far this year and one (shown above) took.

Out of negligence I knocked off the first pushing bud, so it doesn't look like much right now, just a few small leaves.

I will probably try to do 25 more in about a month, just to get a feel for % of takes.

I have about 200 rootstock and will try 50 this winter and then decide which method to use in the future.

Summer appeals to me since the aftercare is minimal for me. Basically 10 -14 days in plastic. After that no special care

10. kbguess

Update:

I grafted 25 maples over 1st week of August. Of those 16 or 17 appear to have taken. I re-grafted the failed attempts this weekend.

The highlight is 4 out of 4 on shirasawanum 'Jordan' (shown below grafted August 1)

Jordan.jpg

11. kbguess

Just one more set of pictures. This is of a chip bud. Simpler carpentry than side veneer. 2 buds grafted and pushing now.
    chip1.jpg chip2.jpg

12. Kaitain4

Looks really nice Keith! Can you do the chip budding in the winter or is it a summer only kind of operation?

13. kbguess

K4

No success with your summer grafting?

As far as chip buds go, I think anytime the understock is active you can graft. I have done one or two in the winter with good results, but most of my grafting of maples I have done in the summer.

I have a friend who does a lot of chip buds on in ground plants and he starts in spring and continues till late summer.