British Columbia: How long will my kale plants continue?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Gabriolan, May 26, 2010.

1. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

When I planted kale last fall, I thought it would be a through-the-winter kind of thing. Now the plants are gigantic, and still producing yummy leaves.

I snip off budding bits so the kale won't flower and go to seed yet. If I continue this, will these plants just go on forever? Or will they become undesirable in some way? How long can I expect to enjoy these plants?

I think they're Red Russian kale.

2. infinidox

infinidox Member

I ended up just letting mine bolt a month or so ago, and they ended up about 6 feet tall! I started noticing a decline in flavour as time went on, but I'd say as long as they still taste good, and you keep clipping the buds so they don't flower, keep at it.

If you do happen to let it flower, the flowers are also edible, and have a bit of a mild broccoli flavour with a sweet touch. Pretty tasty on salads and the like.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have kept a few plants for three seasons I think. It depends on how cold the winters are and how hot the summers are. If both are mild they will grow on. Kale is my favourite garden vegetable and it produces so well with little care. I just add a few plants every summer and let them go as long as they are producing edible leaves.

There is a recent post from someone who was on their third year of cauliflower harvest, so apparently this works with other cruciferous veggies.

4. mort

mort Active Member

Yes, kale will keep over for several years but the red russian one self sows so easily that one really doesn't need to. I also have the curly dark green one, (can't remember the variety) and I do hack it back often with the reward of new leaves frequently. Given the success I had with my cauliflower, I am getting very lazy about pulling anything out!

5. infinidox

infinidox Member

I've always read that you can't plant brassicas in the same spot year after year. I guess that's not always the case, given mort's fortunes.

6. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

infinidox - Wow, 6 feet tall! I wonder if one could grow pole beans up the kale plants - might be fun to try.

Thanks for mentioning that kale flowers are edible. I'm going to try some for lunch!

Ah! Very helpful; thanks, Eric. It's great to hear that the kale can keep going that long. I think I'll do what you're doing and let my kale continue, though I'll also plant more. I love this plant!

I am feeling similarly lazy! "Several years" is great news. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
  7. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    We have grown to sort of Kale fanatics and have some 50m2 of 4 types
    The green curly type (we still don't know the exact name) beside its Dutch name
    "Boerekool" (Farmers cabbage) they grew very well over last winter then I let some go to seed and replanted immediately seedling from last year. They are all ginormous already again.
    I was wondering if someone could tell me why from time to time I get very "yellow" leaves? That would be great as a new type wouldn't it. But they tend to fall off here are 2 pics where they usually grow and a close up. They feel the same texture
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/Nat...st-and-organic/13595110_UkFxW#992734214_Krarn
    I plant my Kale very close so I am told that is the reason they grow tall instead of wide. I don't mind less bending to harvest. We also have the Italian a first this year and the blue I wonder if they will go as their stems are not as vertical and tend to bend..I am now test cutting some +- 5inches from the ground to see will the blue and red Russian also resprout again like the curly always does.
    The same gallery shows all the other plants.
    There is also a Lettuce I still don't know the name.
    PS:
    Have inherited a whole set of windows from my neighbor renovating and will build a sizable greenhouse I am so exited that I will be able to start my seedlings much earlier and advise/experience on greenhouses in Vancouver is much appreciated.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Wow you grow a lot of kale vicarious1. I have seen the yellow leaves, but don't know the real cause. I thought they were just old lower leaves that had lost their colour, but I haven't watched the plants closely enough to see if they form yellow or turn yellow.

In addition to kale, I have found that bok choi and its relatives also do very well in cool weather and can overwinter.

9. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Re: How long will my kale plants continue? & HOW best 2 freeze it ?

I will watch the leaves but I recall they are yellow from the beginning and grow like that Wouldn't it be fun to take the gene and create yellow/green kale .. like they created purple cauliflower. My partner is Chinese.. I would love to grow bokchoi but have no seeds. Do they sell in YVR? Can I start growing now in September ?
    Anyone ?
    Any input on what is the best way to preserve the Kale for the winter. My mother says dipp into boiling water then shake the max of water off and put in a plastic bag and freeze. Some mention dehydration machines , although that would involve a new machine (not my favorite)

10. Eric La Fountaine

I ordered my seed through the mail. They do sell the seed around here, but most vendors only sell seed in the spring. You might still find some at a nursery, better, maybe you would find plants. I just started some seed a few weeks ago, but it is getting very late for that. Might be fine if you have a cold frame.

I don't preserve kale, I just let it grow and harvest through the winter, but your mom's method sounds like a good one and freezing probably preserves the nutrients best.