Attempted revival of money tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MrsGreenthumbs, Jun 1, 2010.

1. MrsGreenthumbs

MrsGreenthumbs Active Member

Hi All,

It been a long time since my last post! My question is about a "Money Tree" Pachria aquatica that I found, discarded on the curb nextdoor. It was suffering some server sunburn so I brought it inside. I then beheaded it, it was 5 feet tall, using a clean saw about seven inches before the braid on the trunk. I did this twice with a Dragon tree and it did very well. I hope this works. I have in it my living room which has bright indrect light. I asume I do not over water and hope for the best. The inner pot is broken and will change it. Thanks! Mrs.Greenthumbs <3

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Congratulations on your find!

What were the leaves like before you beheaded them, other than sunburn? Normal sized? Any insect damage? For instance, if it had spider mites, they may still be there. I understand one of the most common ways to kill this is to keep it too wet and undrained.

So above the braided trunk is where you cut, correct? That doesn't matter so much other than keeping the braided form. If the trunks were in pretty good shape, you should see sprouts soon. If the bark was slipping, or scalded you might not have any luck with it.

Check out the roots when you repot. Even though it's a wetlands plant in nature, you could still have root rot, or possibly dead zones from drying out too much. Both would be conducive to diseases taking hold. Just cut bad areas out, repot in clean well draining soil.

If the trunks are in very good shape, I'd probably mist them every day, multiple times if possible, to encourage sprouting. I've never kept Pachira aquatica myself, so this may not be good practice. It works for some other humidity loving plants, though.

3. MrsGreenthumbs

Thanks Thanrose :)

The leaves were normal sized. I did not see any insect damage but did see a red spider mite and zapped him with soapy water. The trunk is in good shape and has a few little sprouts on it. Yes I did cut it above the braid, the trunk is about 4" around at the top and 10" at the base. This plant was in good form before the sunburn...I had seen it on my nieghbors balcony, were it stood unprotected. A week later it was on the curb. This weekend is repotting time. I am going to mix a bit of cacti soil in to help drainage.

Cheers!
    Mrs.Greenthumbs :)

4. MrsGreenthumbs

Hi All,

I repoted the tree today. Did a mix of potting soil and cactus soil. The root ball was in good shape. It was moist but not soggy. The roots were a yellow color. I am afraid to water it just yet as I know this plants can rot. Wish me luck!

5. MrsGreenthumbs

Hi All,

I watered the tree today. I put in two full 1 liter watering cans of water and it has still not leaked out the botttom. Hmmmmmmm...any thoughts?? I do not want to drown it and make it rot.

Mrs.Greenthumbs

6. MrsGreenthumbs

Hi All,

The tree drained just fine! I was having a senior moment lol!! Well, I am proud to annouce that the tree is now sprouting!! Wow that was fast! :) :)