For British Columbians: Pesticides, the Law and You

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A British Columbia citizen's guide to pesticides and the law from West Coast Environmental Law can be found here:

Pesticides, the Law and You

Disclosure: I volunteered briefly at WCEL before I started my job here at UBC BG.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Mekira likes this.
  2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

thanks Daniel, good link!

3. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

Yes, Thanks Daniel for a useful link. My current place here in Campbell River backs on to a sensitive habitat and fish bearing stream. When I had asked the city planner / environment folks about what I could plant in my new garden project - they gave vague answers as to what can be planted and used for fertilizing. After doing some of my own research it was somewhat disturbing to learn of the high number of invasive plants that can be inadvertently introduce by naive gardeners - not to mention pesticides and fertilizers... this should be standard reading material made readily available by the municipality!

4. flameonglass

flameonglass Member

That link is now dead. Anyone have a more recent one?
    Thanks!

5. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

6. flameonglass

flameonglass Member

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Updated link in original post, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

8. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

That's a nice guide.

I don't recall one similar for our area in Oregon. Many resources are aimed at professionals here, and I think that homeowners need the education equally. Its probably even worth a high school class - one on pesticides. Because a class could even include athletes foot fungi medications and household pesticides.

This link looks like a good one to link to, with a note that laws can differ.

: - )

9. treesrgood

treesrgood Member

Appreciate the link, I just downloaded Citizen's Guide to Pesticide Use and the Law in BC.

10. EnviroSelects

EnviroSelects Member

Thanks for the link Pierrot.

11. Shannon Lawrence

Shannon Lawrence New Member

Anyone able to post a current link to this? Appears to be dead again

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Both of these links should work now. I wrote to the the contact email for the website and received this reply from Omar Abril (which I now see I am not supposed to post, according to the footer, but I don't think this was confidential. [Edited] I checked with Omar, who responded "No problem at all! I appreciate you updating the forum and hope you will find the materials useful.")

Thanks for reaching out regarding your request for materials regarding Pesticide Use and the Law in B.C.
    We had updated our website last year, and with these changes, there was a series of links that were broken in the process.

I have gone ahead and added a re-direct to the publication page you were searching, so you can now access this page either via the original URL you were provided below, or via the new website.

Best regards,

Omar Abril

Digital Strategy Coordinator | West Coast Environmental Law
    200-2006 West 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V6J 2B3 | Coast Salish Territories
    xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) & səl̓ilwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh)

Direct: 604.601.2515 | 1.800.330.WCEL ext. 215 | F 604.684.1312
    oabril@wcel.org

NEWS FROM WEST COAST ON OUR BLOG, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Important notice to recipient: This message is confidential and it may be protected by solicitor client privilege. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately. Any unauthorized distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019