New Bloodgood looking sick

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Pixelkarma, May 30, 2010.

1. Pixelkarma

Pixelkarma Member

Hi, good people of the UBC Botanical Garden Forums!

For my birthday, two weeks ago, my boyfriend surprised me by planting a 6' tall Bloodgood tree in my Japanese Garden. I was thrilled, as I had been looking forward to own one for a long time, researching which cultivar to plant, how to do it properly and all. I was thrilled, but also a bit worried : almost all the tree leaves showed damage and some browning and some area of the trunk also looked scarred. I wasnt with my boyfriend when he went to the garden center to buy the tree but he says the people there said the leaves were like this because of some hars winds, this spring, that had damaged the buds. They also said there was no problem with the bark. Basically, they said that, if it was well protected from the winds, it should be all nice and everything come next spring. I hope they are right.

I dont know much about trees or plants in general, so I usually count on their advice adn opinions to deal with my garden. In this case, though, I love this tree too much, and dreamed about it for too long to risk anything compromising my success. I have a three months garantee on the tree during which, should it die, the garden center will refund me. I would like to have your opinions on the state of my tree : do you think it is sick? I included several pictures for you to see, some of the worst area of the leaves, some of new leaves that "opened" after the tree was planted.

It was planted in a deep and wide hole, the roots were treated to a good portion of mychorize and it was watered daily at dusk (since its been *very* dry lately). It is in the sun for a good part of the day and ti is well sheltered from the winds.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Marie

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I don't see any real issues yet, although you can probably cut back on the water. That sounds like way too much anytime of the year in your area. Most maples in the ground can get by with once a week watering with a deep soaking providing you have good drainage. You might consider 2-3 moderate waterings the week of planting.

The damaged areas are just minor injuries that have healed or are healing and are not of concern.

Planting at this point in the season should not stress or shock a maple like that to any real degree, so if it is in good health and you planted it correctly then you should not see further damage. You might see problems later in the year if the roots are not yet equipped to handle the hottest part of the year, but maples are set up to handle that situation as well.

Unfortunately, you probably won't know enough in 3 months to take advantage of a guarantee. Think positive and enjoy the tree.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Pixelkarma

Pixelkarma Member

Thank you both. Checked everything on the link you pointed, Ron, and found nothing that was exactly like what I witness on my tree... Guess it means it is something else or, lets hope, nothing at all!

Marie

5. Pixelkarma

Pixelkarma Member

Hi again.

So Ive been carefully watching my Bloodgood, hoping for signs of improvement. Unfortunately there hasnt been any and, recently, white spots, like drips, started to appear on the leaves. Some leaves also keep drying up without any other visible dammage, while others will turn brownish around the veins... Since I dont think I can describe it properly I included some pictures. I have been looking around on the internet, in the Vertrees book I recently bought... and though some pest and disease description have some relevant symptoms, I cant find any that really covers exactly what I am witnessing on my tree. My local nursery would be of no help as they barely know anything about acer palmatum.

We havent been overly watering the tree - I think. It is planted in the sun and I didnt think it was a problem since we are in a relatively cold region, here in Quebec (4B). This summer is especially dry, sunny and hot so maybe this is causing a few of those problems on my beloved Bloodgood.

Anyhow, any advice, links, informations will be gladly welcomed. I love that tree and I would like to know what to do to ensure it will last me more than one season!

Attached Files:

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Marie,

I've been looking at your pictures, and my guess is there's nothing much at all the matter with your tree. It seems to be exhibiting the regular stress symptoms of a maple during its first year. And at that it's not too bad; I've had first year maples that get a bit of sun drop all their leaves come end of July, to be none the worse the following year.

Also, the sun is pretty strong even if it doesn't get too hot, so a little sun burn isn't unexpected. mjh's advice is spot on, there don't seem to be serious bark issues.

Allez, bon courage, 'faut tenir la course! :)

-E