Sick Toyama Nishiki Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Serotonin, May 29, 2010.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Member

My Japanese maple bloomed early April. All seemed to be fine. It even seemed to be having a growth spurt. In early May I noticed some bugs that like to hang around the leaves. They were light brown in color and appeared as if they might be able to fly. I sprayed them with some Sevin. That didn't appear to work either. I sprayed a second application later in the week. Well around the next week, I noticed the leaves started to change color to pinks, etc. I hear this is common of course with Japanese Maples. The leaves never looked as perky though as they did while they were still green (back when they'd first bloomed). Things seemed to still be well until I went on a short trip from May 5 to May 8. When I got back May 8, the leaves were dead! The tree seemed fine when I left on the 5th! It was not hot here in North Georgia at all, maybe mid-70s. The leaves were on death's door anyway, and despite me watering the tree, the leaves did die, becoming very noticeably dead the following week (mid-May). When the leaves were crispy, I plucked them all out. Now my tree only has like 10 green, healthy leaves on it which appear to be fine. In the past week though I've noticed that the small branches are turning yellow and brown and appear to be dying. The bigger branches are turning a brown color (they were green before). It's as if the brown is starting on the outer limb and working its way in and has stopped right at the trunk on 3 of my major branches. My tree always had some black spots here and there which I thought were normal. And all seemed to be OK with my tree, since it lasted through all last summer and I went on a few vacations back then and my tree was fine even though August. The tree is located in North Georgia and the weather out here has not been terrible yet. The tree has lived in the same spot from April 2009 until now. I have not done anything out of the ordinary, only when I sprayed that Sevin on it 6 weeks prior. I just don't understand what could have happened that could make my tree go downhill this quickly... I called an arborist to come out and he advised me that the tree was planted a little too deeply and that maybe now the tree's roots have escaped the original rootball area and may be suffocating now in the Georgia clay. When I questioned could it be a disease he was not quite sure. He said I should try replanting and hopefully the tree will bounce back. He gave a 50% survival prognosis. I still am quite concerned and DO NOT want to lose this tree! I don't know if I 100% buy into the Arborist explanation. My mom said maybe the bugs live on the tree but dont hurt it. There seems to be a big mystery area when it comes to Japanese maples. I dont know where to find an expert that can tell me. I will try going back to the Pikes Nursery where I bought it and maybe someone there can help me? Does anyone know what could be the problem with this tree? I have pics if that will help. Tree is a Toyama Nishiki Japanese maple (was purchased as a size1 in April 2009). Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

I think your arborist may be right. Even if you don't have clay soil, good drainage is the most important factor in getting a maple to thrive. Especially with clay, The rootball should essentially sit above ground with soil to form a nice mound. If drainage is poor the tree is subject to all sorts of pathogens that can cause a quick death. Your picture of the small branches top row three over is most concerning. Personally I would cut back anything like that and replant with better drainage. Not to be a downer (and keep in mind I am a relative neophyte) but I think the chances of survival are pretty low.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Member

I ended up re-planting. As we did the digging, I saw where a good deal of the longer roots were going into the clay. In most spots the clay was as hard as a rock, so I couls see where the tree was probably being choked by the clay. I replaced all the dirt with new dirt and now thte rootball sits right above ground and I have a good mound/slope around the tree. We'll see what happens.
    I did go back to the nursery where I bought the tree and the worker said that yes these trees can be quite picky. He recommended replanting as well and making sure that I do not overwater. He told me the type of soil I should by and they type of fertilizer I could put with the tree later on.
    He advised that since the tree is still primarily green, he give it 75/25 odds. I have my fingers crossed.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Good link Ron. Surprising they do not differentiate the two Verticillium sp that affect maples.

Gomero

6. paxi

paxi Active Member

Yes thanks for the link - the specific treatment suggestions are interesting.

Serotonin, - did either the nursery or arborist tell you to cut back/off the brown limbs? good luck. I have had a toyama die - for me has been a bit of a finicky plant, but it is so beautiful I had to give it a second try.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Member

@paxi - The arborist told me to let the tree heal and not cut any dieback, although without cutting dieback, I don't know how the tree will be able to grow any new leaves.
    I forgot to ask the guy at the nursery. I'm affraid though that the 'brown' will spread if I don't make a few cuts. So far it's just the twigs and not any major branches. The twigs are half brown, then if I cut a transection, it does appear a bit green on the inside which has me baffled. There seems to still be 'some' life although it looks brown. The brown twigs are also quite flexible and not brittle, so yes I am confused. The trunk of the tree and the major branches are still green, so that gives me a lot of hope. I'm nervously awaiting any new growth.
    I'm doing the 'finger' test as far as watering as well. Yes these guys are quite picky. God forbit my poor baby tree dies! If it does YES I will definitely get a new one for sure. I love this tree. I will be so hard if I end up losing it.
    I will post some new pics tomorrow, just to show the dieback a little more, just to fish for more suggestions from you guys. THanks for all the good advise so far!

@ RonB - THanks for the link. I'm not sure any of those diseases directly fit my Toyama though... I will post more pics tomorrow to give a better look to you all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Member

Here are the pics I took today guys. I hope these give a better look... As you can see from the next to last picture, most of the tree is still green. Some of the branches are a strange brownish color but they are still quite flexible. None of the treee is brittle at all. I'm so confused at what caused this. Thus far, the "dieback" if that is what it is, has not gotten any worse. I hope that this "illness" or phase has reached its apex and the tree will start to get better.

Attached Files: