Bonsai??? ID and Care Request

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SMVH, May 24, 2010.

1. SMVH

SMVH Member

This plant is about 10-12 years old, was half as high when purchased, ith many more leaves. Right now, it is about 19" inches high, with just the three branches as shown. As it grows and gets a new "umbrella" of leaves, a lower one drops off, leaves first, then small stem.

Can someone tell me what this is and how I should be caring for it to encourage lush growth or is this how it is supposed to look? I water it every two weeks or so by simply setting it in a water bath up to the plant base, soaking for 15 minutes.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Schefflera arboricola, Umbrella Tree.

3. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Re-pot and put the plant in a little deeper and bigger pot if you don't have the time to fuss with it constantly. It is most likely getting root bound, not enough light or low humidity. You can try to put a larger tray under it with water in it to provide some humidity but raise the pot out of the water. Bonsai pots don't have much soil in them and will become water logged easily. If the plant is fast growing you my need to re-pot with fresh soil two times a year. Fertilize with a low number equal product like 2-2-2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schefflera_arboricola

4. SMVH

SMVH Member

Thanks to both of you.

As far as pruning, can I simply pinch out the growing tip or should I cut it all back to half as high and root the cuttings? I have searched a bit and found both suggestions.

She's very scrawny, obviously. I'd like to get a few more branches coming out.

Thank you.