Identification: ID this tree please!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Frith, May 18, 2010.

1. Frith

Frith Member

There are several specimens of this growing in a park near my house in Seattle, WA. They are 30' - 40' tall and as wide, umbrella-shaped trees that cast dappled shade.
    The leaves are oval, and the flowers look for all the world like a sweet pea.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

My first thoughts were - Robinia hispida but if they are 30+ feet tall then that is incorrect. It might be Robinia pseudoacacia 'Purple Robe.' Ron will know for sure what it is.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably the most common of pink locust trees here now is Purple Robe. Jacobson, TREES OF SEATTLE - SECOND EDITION (2006) mentions that the largest of some Purple Robe in Martin Luther King Jr. Park was 33 1/2' tall (probably measured 2005).

See his account of Black locust hybrids pp. 222-3.

4. Frith

Frith Member

Thanks for this. The trees are actually the exact ones he mentions - in the MLK park, which is close by my house.
    Fabulous.

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Neat tree. I just spent a few minutes reading about them. One of my neighbors loves locusts and I will forward the name on.

Frith, were there many visible thorns on the one you saw?

6. Frith

Frith Member

I'll try to remember to look on Monday when I walk by them - don't remember thorns, but the branches are pretty high up. The bark is beautiful though, and I haven't noticed any thorns on the trunks. They are really beautiful trees - maybe I'll post a picture too.
    Frith

7. Frith

Frith Member

MarkVIIIMarc - I didn't see any thorns anywhere on the trees, which are at Walker and Martin L. King Jr Way South, Seattle.
    Frith

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2010