armstrong red maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by clankk, May 19, 2010.

1. clankk

clankk Member

i purchase a 20' armstrong red maple at the time of planting the leaves were red and green now in week 2 they have all gone green i thought this was a red maple or do they change colours lots of afternoon sun water etc used the fertilizer/dirt mix from the nursery can someone explain this ? thanks

2. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

Acer rubrum 'armstrong' is a well known cultivar of red maple, which is named for its' red blossoms in late winter/early spring (really true --the entire tree looks red in late February in Vancouver) AS WELL as for its' very red foliage in the autumn.

The rest of the season the leaves are, well, green, (except at first blush, as you noted).

I hope you are not too disappointed; they are a very handsome and versatile tree as they are both flood and drought tolerant, and are fast growing.

They make a lovely shade tree in summer.

3. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

I am going to buy one too. For me another plus for this cultivar is that it is an upright and narrow grower, great for small areas

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

20' as it twenty foot tall? That is a big tree. Its probably a good time of year to be planting it.

You say the leaves were a bit red when it was planted but now they are green? Was it out of the ground already?