Sources for Japanese maples and dwarf conifers in British Columbia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by garcan, Jan 6, 2008.

1. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

Are there any nurseries in BC that have wide selection of Japanese maples or dwarf conifers? Any suggestion would be appreciated. (Hard to find good selection in Ontario.)

2. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi,
    I distribute JM's and dwarf conifers to Losthorizons.ca on rte #7 in Acton, not far from you in Milton. They have a good selection.

3. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Try losthorizons.ca in Acton ON. near you.

4. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

Thanks bamboofish
    Lost Horizon is one of my favourite nurseries where I acquired new plants in the last couple of years. They do have good selections. However, since BC has the most favourable weather for maples and conifers in Canada and since I visit my son in Vancouver almost once a year, I was hoping that I can discover even more varieties when I visit BC. You know how plant addicts never have enough ;>)

5. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Cedar Rim Nursery in BC probably has the largest selection of dwarf conifers and japanese maples out of any retail nursery in bc...maybe even more than any wholesale places as well.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have found some good conifers in gallons at Dykhof nursery in North Van, and in many other places, including Gardenworks Lougheed and Mandeville. David Hunter and several others carry product from a local distributor that propagates many dwarf and small conifers in 4" pots - Tiny Treasures. But honestly, we don't have any conifer mecca here, and I would give a bit to be able to shop at Lost Horizons :-)

Post here when you plan to be in town and maybe people can let you know where they've recently seen good stuff. It comes and goes.

For maples, I think I'd agree with Cedar Rim, though they had all big sizes when I was there. But if your visit coincides with the Van Dusen show, there were a few maple distributors there who had a nice selection in small sizes. But little that is really rare though. You could also drive down to Cloud Mountain just across the border in Washington State while you're here. You need to order ahead, and get a phyto, but it can be done.

7. boloxis

boloxis Active Member

Just to update the thread this Spring, if any of you are in the hunt for good Japanese maples

1. Gardenworks - many locations throughout the mainland, they order uncommon cultivars from Oregon and Washington, little pricey
    2. Cedar Rim - Glover Road, Langley - mostly big trees but good price, wide selection
    3. Aarts - Many locations, got their maples from BC local suppliers
    4. Arts - Port Kells, Surrey, family owned business, large selection
    5. Phoenix Perrenials - Richmond, BC, buys rare cultivars from Buchholz, slightly expensive though
    6. Green Acre tree farm - Richmond, BC, good selection, ok price
    7. Red Tree Farm - Aldergrove, BC private collector that sells their own grafts and mature trees for good price
    8. Aldergrove Nursery and Sunrise Nursery - Aldergrove, BC. two wholesale nurseries right beside each other, sells retail, big selection
    9. Specimen Trees - Pitt Meadows, BC, OK selection
    10. David Hunter - Surrey, BC, Ok selection, good price
    11. Triple Trees - maple Ridge BC, big selection, little pricey
    12. TCY Nursery - Richmond BC, ok selection