Plants to grow under cedar trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by treb001, May 17, 2010.

1. treb001

treb001 Active Member

I would like info of what flowering plants could grow under cedar trees.
    Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check out Hypericum calycinum and Euphorbia amygdaloides robbiae. The first, although seen forming good coverage under Thuja plicata here now has the drawback of tending to rust noticeably in the Seattle area. Both would grow well in the Vancouver area, if your location is markedly colder the spurge might not hold up during the winter - the 1990 winter here (coldest in 30 years) damaged the tops of mine.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I have had sucess with both wax begonias and impatience plants as flowering annuals at the feet of evergreen hedges.

4. Ccleland

Ccleland Member

In my previous garden I had enormous red cedars, but had great success with Euonymus fortunei under them. They grew to about 4 feet and withstood all kinds of winters.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That one can be turned to near tatters by weevils when planted beneath low-branching trees.

6. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

If the lower branches have been trimmed, allowing light for the plantings under the cedars, any plant that does well in dry conditions seems to manage.

I have two huge cedars, which former owners trimmed up (to about the 25' mark) in order to open up a view. Underneath is part sun, part shade. Autumn sedum does well here, as does a Rosa glauca, malva, ornamental oregano and daylilies. They were planted in a new, thick layer of rich soil when first put in. Since then, really only the odd extra watering in very hot weather.