unknown chaparral plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eric Simpson, May 16, 2010.

1. Eric Simpson

Eric Simpson Member

Don't know where this was taken, but assume some SoCal chaparral community. It was posted on the California Chaparral Institute's FaceBook page, and seems to have everyone there stumped. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Closer view? From here individual flowers look like those of an orchid, but top of inflorescence does not. And if the most apparent leaves are those of the plant in question, then definitely not an orchid.

3. Eric Simpson

Eric Simpson Member

Sorry, that was the only pic posted. And you've hit the same snags as the rest of us, thus my posting it here.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

My knee-jerk reaction is like Ron's - Habenaria of some sort (the Rein Orchids). The inflorescence tips of the ones that grow down here are very similar to that one, and what I can make out of the flowers points that way as well.... Hmmmmm.....

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Almost certainly Piperia (link to CalPhotos), as suggested by Frank on their Facebook page.

6. Eric Simpson

Eric Simpson Member

I have to agree. I'm not as confident that it's P. cooperi, but then I've only ever seen one confirmed specimen of the genus, and that was in a tanoak/Umbellularia stand in NorCal.