Hidden Untouched Garden for over 30 years

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by C.Wick, May 13, 2010.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Just this early spring, I 'discovered' a garden that was planted a couple decades ago. It's been untouched since at LEAST 1973....and now is just growing all sorts of stuff. I've been able to identify many types of plants, blooms and trees.....but am having problems with some.
    I'm in NE Kansas with a rather chilly spring hitting here.
    If anyone can help?
    The striped pink flowers are growing on the edge, full sunlight, with lots and LOTS of cow pucky...Columbine and fiberous hemp are growing with it. The plants stand about 2-3 feet tall..the flowers approximately the sive of golf balls.
    The white/green flowerss (in my hand) were photographed in April. At first glance they're very similiar to Star of Bethleham but you can see the difference in the blooms up close. These are mostly blooming on the side of the garden with more sunlight and open air.
    The 'white carnations'....I've NO idea what they are. They're the size of gum balls...the leaves are VERY lightly serrated, smooth and soft. It really looks like the beginning of a bush but of the 3 stems I found, none are developing any further then the foot in height and no more blooms. It also bloomed in April.
    The leaves are on plants I've yet to see any blooms from. The shape is so odd SURELY someone knows what it is? When I first saw the stems rising from the edge of the garden I thought it was Poke weed.......but..........the leaves just aren't right. The stems are are a vibrant pink/red.
    This garden has an INCREDIBLE amount of flowers.....from Iris' (counting at least 5 colors) to Daffodiles (at least 9 different varities!), Snow Drops, Star of Bethleham, Bluebells, Surprise Lillies, Tiger Lillies, Day lillies, Peonies, Columbine, Raspberries and Blackberries, Gooseberry, a few Pecan trees and even a gorgeous Magnolia.
    Again, any help would be wonderful!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

1-2. Dictamnus

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Gladly...don't think it's the knotweed! With the red stems it doesn't seem to fit? (HOPEFULLY!)
    But YEAHHH....Definately looks like the dwarf cherry! Thanx so much!

You got it David! Thanx SOO much! Now I'm curious to watch it burn....hmmm. :o)

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd say 5 is knotweed. The look of the leaf unfurling and the zig-zaggy stem are strong indicators (and I have seen them with reddish stems).

6. Silver surfer

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Where the white flowers bloomed...these are now growing on stems. Is this something the Glory flowers have do you know?

Thanx Daniel for confirming the ID to the 'knots'........ugh! Looks like I've some MORE work CUT OUT ahead of me here.

Attached Files:

8. Silver surfer

Chionodoxa. Some have a flowering spike with up to 12 flowers. They are usually blue , pink or white. Yes, after the flowers go over you do get big fat seed pods which burst to show lots of tiny seeds inside.

I tried to get a closer look at ours seed pods, but there is nothing left except wilted leaves.

I am amazed that so many plants remain in this hidden garden. Over here the weeds would have completely swamped and smothered everything. You may yet find many more treasures!

Have you read the childrens classic " The hidden Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett?
    It is a really heart warming story. See wiki for plot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Garden

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Excellent info on the flowers! Thanx so much........
    I'm now waiting to see what color the poppies that are showing will be. I know in the fall this place is COVERED in the Surprise Lillies......and here pretty soon there's lots of the beautiful orange Dayillies. There's even a beautiful little Lilly looking flower that I think is actually in the Iris family that'll pop up.
    The outside of this garden is enclosed by bracken and weeds....but inside SOOO much is still hidden and trying to be seen.
    There's tons of Iris' that won't sprout blooms that I have seen...and the current owner says he's not seen blooms on them for years now. So...not sure what the problem is there? Maybe they need spread out more.
    The Secret Garden is a favorite story of mine that got me hooked on stories like that. I'm always waiting for that special light, or that special bird to come thru. It's truely a magical place...much like the book.