Rosea Magomata

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Liekko, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Liekko

Liekko Member

Today I bought a beautiful Japanese Maple. As soon as I got home I wanted to look at some pictures on the internet to see what it will look like in the fall.

To my surprise, I couldn't find anything on the web about it; either picture or text.

The nursery got the maple from a farm in Oregon that went out of business named after the owner "Jean" something or other.

The tag said "Acer p.d. "Rosea Magomata" and the bottom of the tag said 4/5 XXhvy.

Has anyone ever heard of Rosea Magomata?

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would imagine it is a mis-spelling, and a nice mystery to find which cultivar it is. (Either that or a new cultivar the nursery had under observation when they went out of business.)

The name on the label suggests a dissectum, the nearest named one I can find is 'Roseum Ornatum'.

If not a dissectum, 'Roseomarginatum' has been used as a synonym for both 'Hikasa yama' and 'Kagiri nishiki', and 'Roseomaculatum' for 'Versicolor'.

If none of those hit the mark try posting a picture, maybe someone will recognise it.

3. Liekko

Liekko Member

Thank you Maf; I'll try and get some close up pix to post - as the leafs are just now emerging.

I do know the leaves look like a normal red leave disectum at them moment, but the nursey owner said in the summer the leaves turn a very deep olive green color and then red in the fall - if thats helps any.

4. blukaede

blukaede Member Maple Society

I think you have Acer palmatum dissectum 'Roseo marginata'. I have had this plant for
    many years and find it a very nice cultivar. Leafs out reddish-orange, then a nice green with subtle reddish-orange margin during the season. Typical mounding habit
    of the weeping laceleaf forms.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

In the World Checklist of Maple Cultivars there is an entry: Acer palmatum dissectum 'Roseomarginatum'. This cultivar is indeed sold in Europe under such a name. It is a variegated dissectum.

Gomero

6. Liekko

Liekko Member

I talked o the nursery where is came from and they said it was a Acer palmatum dissectum 'Roseo Marginatum'.

However, It's my understanding (as Maf said) that is another name used for 'Hikasa yama' and 'Kagiri nishiki'.

The nursery also sent me a picture of what it looks like in the fall, and it doesn't look like either 'Hikasa yama' or 'Kagiri nishiki' to me.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

7. maf

After reading what Gomero and blukaede wrote above, I dug out my old copy of Vertrees 2nd edition and found Acer palmatum dissectum 'Roseo-marginatum' which is not mentioned in any of my newer books, and very different from either 'Hikasa yama' or 'Kagiri nishiki':
    Sounds like a pretty close match.

8. Gomero

To illustrate the discussion here are some pics of my dissectum roseomarginatum.

Gomero

Attached Files:

9. maf

A very beautiful variegated maple Gomero, but I don't see any rose or red margins as suggested by the name. I think this is one of those cases where an old and obscure name has been used for multiple different cultivars. The example I quoted from Vertrees was for a dissectum with leaves edged in red, later changing to green, which fits with what blukaede said and seems to describe Liekko's plant quite well. Vertrees also states (2nd edition) that many seed grown dissectums also display this color pattern.

10. Gomero

I fully agree, I have seen this before.
    In my case the plant comes from a well know Dutch supplier.

Gomero

11. Liekko

Liekko Member

I got a picture of the actual tree I have been discussing. It's not a great shot, but my camera isn't all that good. Hope this is helpful.

Attached Files:

12. daisies87

daisies87 Member

I also purchased a 'roseo-marginatum' just this weekend, when I was supposed to have purchased a 'butterfly'. I hadn't looked at the ticket till after I had planted it.
    I love the tree that I bought, but for all practical purposes I really needed to know more this variety, most importantly shape and size at maturity. I understand that roseo-marginatum is actually not the same tree as kagiri-nishiki and higasayama but it is often lumped together with either one of those. My tree looks much more like kagiri nishiki. I'm really having trouble getting some good photos of either variety at maturity (roseo or kagiri, not higasa), but I will post mine; she is 18" young :)

Attached Files:

13. Liekko

Liekko Member

Some new pictures that might help clarify this discussion.

Attached Files:

14. daisies87

daisies87 Member

Our trees are entirely different but have the same label (if yours was actually supposed to be labeled acer palmatum "roseum marginatum".)

I am attaching a closeup of my foliage. I'm thinking that mine is actually kagiri nishiki and yours might possibly be hagisawa. I'm hoping there's someone out there with more info and photos. Your tree is beautiful btw :)

Attached Files:

15. Liekko

Liekko Member

Same name with the exception mine is a A.P. "Disectum" Rosea and yours is A.P. Rosea. I'm not 100% sure mine is a Rosea though, thats just what people have suggested. To me, it looks more like Watnong.

16. daisies87

daisies87 Member

You are right, I completely missed that yours was labeled 'dissectum'. I've been on top of this all week since I may have to eventually replace mine with the one that I was supposed to get (Butterfly). I've contacted Monrovia a large supplier in U.S. and hopefully they will get back to me with some more info. I wish I could have been more helpful but it looks like we're on the same boat.