Please help identify and save my Echeveria!!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by allie317, May 11, 2010.

1. allie317

allie317 Member

I purchased a black rose Echeveria plant (that's what I was told it was) from a store in NYC this past January. Since that time it has slowly been losing it's leaves, without signs of regrowth. I have been watering it once a month with 3-4 ice cubes, as directed when I purchased it. Unfortunately it is losing a lot of leaves, and they are all turning a deep red color. When I purchased the plant, the leaves were mostly green, with hints of red. I am unable to find a lot of literature online about the plant that I have, so I do not know if I am watering too much/not enough. I am not sure if I am giving it too much/not enough light... or maybe I am doing something else wrong? I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at the attached photos, and give me some advice. As you can see, it does not appear to me that the top middle leaves are growing or that the plant is creating any new leaves. It just seems to keep losing what little leaves it has left. Please help. These pictures are actually from about 2-3 weeks ago. As of this morning, there are only about 7-8 leaves left... so it is getting worse. I would appreciate some advice as to what is going wrong and what I can do to help the plant grow. Lastly... I'm not even sure if it is a "black rose" Echeveria. Could this plant actually be called something else? Some images I found online (through google) suggest maybe it is a form of Aeonium arboreum? But I may be way off with this. Please help. Thank you.
    -Allie

Attached Files:

2. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

What you have there is indeed a type of Aeonium. I'm not sure what specific species or variety you have there, but the care is about the same for all of them.

From what I can see in the picture your plant does not seem to be getting enough light. I grow my Aeoniums outside in sun. They are frost sensitive so I would suggest moving them closer to a window that gets a good amount of light. My plants also tend to lose their leaves if they do not receive enough water. It is best to let the top part of the soil dry in between waters, but not to the let plant go completely dry.