Fertilizer Question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vegexperiment, May 10, 2010.

1. vegexperiment

vegexperiment Member

Hi, I am new to vegetable gardening (all gardening actually) but have recently removed my small backyard lawn in favour of raised beds so my wife and I can try to grow some food. We didn't use the lawn ever and love to cook so thought, why not?

My question is about fertilizing my beds. I planted everything from seed and in 3 weeks have quite a lot of life showing. What i'm not sure about is a safe way to apply fertilizer to the beds without damaging the small sprouts. Can anyone give me any advice on that? I have some Gaia green Organic fertilizer that i turned into the soil before planting but I'm not sure if I can just sprinkle it on top of the soil at this point. I'm nervous to work it into the soil. I have put in an irrigation system that uses soaker hoses at the moment ... possible switching to drip plugs once I've thinned (that'll be another question later likely).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Will

2. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

Don't fertilize now except with a nutrient rich organic mulch... such as well rotted manure (the fresh stuff is a no-no), finished kitchen scrap compost, or any bagged compost. Chemical fertilizers are too harsh for young plants unless dissolved and very highly diluted in water.

3. vegexperiment

vegexperiment Member

Thanks for the response Grant. Do you think organic fertilizer would be safe?

Will

4. growlikecrazy

growlikecrazy Member

You must do organic gardening with natural organic fertilizers for best results.Like as i do in my gardens.I used safe natural fertilizer protogrow for my garden and i got better results.These have ability to grow ordinary plants into nutritionally dense giants that it has virtually eliminated the need for harsh chemical fertilizers.I got for spiking home grown tomatoes with bio-available minerals.Radishes are great full of ionic calcium.I got best tasting corn this year.Beets are jam packed with ionic iron and potassium.Grapes this year is very tasty and well ripened.Inorganic fertilizers are harmful for growth of plants.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

May I ask for your source of this info?

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

How did it go Will? I am a condo dweller so I grew most of my stuff in pots this year.
    This shot shows potatoes, onions, green onion, lettuces, spinach, dill, blueberries, strawberries, celery, beets, parsley, etc

Attached Files: