problems with paulownias

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by CCR, May 10, 2010.

1. CCR

CCR Member

Dear friends,

I have two young paulownia trees that suffered from this winter's frost (-25 degrees C). Both have damage on the stem: the bark is not uniformely colored anymore, and is broken in some places. the cambium seems to be afected, but not uniformely - on the bark, there are stripes of brown and olive-green areas.
    Both trees started growing 2-3 sprouts from the lower side of the stem (up to 20 cm from the ground), so they are alive. Should I cut down the stem to the last sprout or are there any chances that the tree will recover the upper side of the stem as well? There are not any signs of new growth from the upper side by now (they started growing 3 weeks ago).

Thank you,

CCR

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Even here in USDA 8 it is usual for newly planting specimens to freeze back during their early years. After a time they get past it and keep their stems out to the tips.

3. CCR

CCR Member

So I should wait instead of cutting back the stem? It will regenerate the cambium?

Thank you,

CCR

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No point in keeping dead parts.

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Here in the American Midwest they're grow fast and out pace their problem type trees so this happens to them. Of course they also spread their seeds all over creation.