Cedars: Planting near them?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by blindfolio, Apr 18, 2010.

1. blindfolio

blindfolio Member

I’ve planted twelve 7 foot cedars to block the neighbors ratty fence. That said, we have a bed in front of them and are now moving plants to go there.

Question: Is there a minimum distance to plant plants near cedars? Do they kill plants too close to them?

Novice gardener.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Are these real cedars like Cedrus: Deodar, Atlas, etc.?

Or common name cedars like Thuja: western redcedar, etc.?

Are you going to let them grow tall, or keep them contained by selective pruning?

:-)

3. blindfolio

blindfolio Member

I’ll find out...we bought them from Costco Richmond last Spring.

4. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

If they are Thuja, then, yes, they leach out allelopathic compounds. Make sure your garden bed is far enough away that the cedar foliage won't be shed into the beds when the hedge is at full size. The roots will exude some thujin as well, but the shed leaves will probably give you the most trouble with your garden.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Remember that T. plicata grows very large in time.

6. Corey

Corey Member

I am a novice also, I have a 80+ year old cedar don't know what type. I figure whatever it will do to the soil ph is done. I don't know if you are talking about vegis or flowers but I have experimented with great results using new plants, transplants, bulbs and seeds. I avoided plants that rot easily because of all the debris and chose partial shade plants. Living under it lawn, fushia, cylcamen, succulants, geranium, columbine, forget-me-nots, lilies, rhodies, camillias, begonias, roses, ivy, hawaiian orchids, other orchids, morning glory, a rouge squash plant, nasturshium, shasta daisies, iris, rosemary and others I don't know the names of.