Rubel Blueberry Seeds

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ronenzzz, May 2, 2010.

1. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

Hey people,

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase blueberry seeds of the "Rubel" species.
    I can not find them anywhere online.

Thank you.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Blueberries are not usually grown from seed, but from cloned plants. You won't get a "Rubel" blueberry from seeds of that variety.

3. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

Thanks for your reply,

So how do they sell on ebay blueberry seeds and say that they are of a certain species?

Is there no way to grow a rubel blueberry bush form the seed?

I live in Israel, and cannot find any blueberry bushes fro sale here, let alone the rubel species.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

"Rubel" is a cultivated variety of the Northern Highbush Blueberry, Vaccinium corymbosum. The seed of any Highbush Blueberry will produce the right species but will have very little chance of closely resembling any particular variety. If you want to try growing blueberries from seed, just buy some fresh blueberries whenever they are available and plant the seeds after keeping them in a refrigerator for a couple of months. I doubt that Highbush Blueberries will produce fruit in Israel; it's too hot in Summer and too warm in Winter. Experimenting with some cheap seeds may save you a lot money and disappointment compared to buying expensive bushes. Check the Web for blueberries grown in Israel. I see that Rabbiteye Blueberries, a more southern species, are grown there.

5. Rafa

Rafa New Member

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Neither of the companies in that link are selling seed of the cultivar. They are selling plants, which would be derived from vegetative propagation, like cuttings or tissue culture. A cultivar has a unique genetic make-up. You cannot generally reproduce it from seed unless the plant produces apomictic seed (some plants produce seed without pollination--a copy of the mother plant is produced). That said, people will sell seed from a cultivar and improperly call it the cultivar--they want to sell it. In some cases the offspring are nearly indistinguishable from the cultivar. In those cases the Group designation is used to refer to plants that show such similarity.