Coniferous Tree Suggestions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mamadove, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mamadove

mamadove Member

I am looking to find conifers suitable in size for a good sized urban backyard, tall enough to screen out the south face of the yard which is completely exposed.

I recently moved to Victoria, BC and I am a little overwhelmed with all the options! Going with a west coast garden theme but can't use anything giant.

2. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

We have an ugly chain link fence on the south side of our yard in Seattle. My husband dug up volunteer Western Red Cedars from my flower beds. They were so small and spindley (6-12"), he planted them about that 1' apart along the fence. In less than 10 years they tower over the fence. We'll have to thin them soon but for now they are a solid wall of green 8-10' high. I would recommend them as a fast growing screen and best of all, for us anyway they were free.

3. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

Our native Douglas-fir, western redcedar or western hemlocks can be wonderful features when planted or allowed to grow in appropriate spots. Be very aware, however, of the size and rooting area that these trees take on when mature. They grow very fast and very large. If you don't want your tree to eventually be over 100' tall, then consider a slower growing alternative.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years