Abnormal plant growth

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by garcrob, Apr 26, 2010.

1. garcrob

garcrob Member

I am growing some jalapenos, tomatoes, another hot peper and a clemetis vine. Some of the leaves have started to look abnormal, in a twisting left or right fashion, not curling twisting.

The best way to explain it is imagine that you pinched one side of the leaf and let it grow for a week or so, it seems like one side continues to grow as the other side stays the same size this results in the plant
    twisting toward the malformed side.

I will have pics later today, i have to get my camera from home.

does anybody know what this is????

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not sure what is happening to cause this in your plants. They look basically healthy. I have noticed this type of damage on plants before. I think it is just what you say--the leaf is somehow caught on one side as it unfolds and grows. If it is only a few leaves, I would not be too concerned.

3. garcrob

garcrob Member

it wasnt there before - it was one of those things that you notice all of a sudden, i tend to my plants daily as im sure we all do. One day i noticed it on the peper plant and sparked my interest with the others, so i have 4 plants that have it, im worried that it is spreading...

4. garcrob

garcrob Member

more pictures

Attached Files:

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Your newer image looks like it may have mites. They can distort new growth.

A general purpose miticide might be a good idea...just make sure it's labeled
    for use on edible plants.

6. garcrob

garcrob Member

thanks for the advice - i have been using a general house plant and garden pesticide and still have this, it keeps spreading is my concern, it keeps popping up on other plants,

i am affraid i wont know what it is until too late. nobody seems to have a clue what it exactly is...

7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

A deficiency in zinc and/or molybdenum can cause leaf distortions, too. Although I agree that it looks like mites have done some of the damage.

If you've been using any treatments, be aware that some of them can distort growth, too. It would depend on the plants and the reason for the application, the time of year, how it was applied, etc. Too many variables to know.

I've also seen distorted leaves with aggressive fertilizing, and somewhere here recently there was a photo of distortion caused by aggressive propagation methods.

So i've two suggestions: take care of the mites with a targeted approach, and treat with supplemental micronutrients taking care not to overfertilize.

8. garcrob

garcrob Member

so agressive fertilization will cause this also? I was feeding the plants 2 times a week with a micro nutrient aimed foliage spray, i will cut back on that and see what happens, ill treat the mites also.

in the mean time should i take the distorted leaves off to see if any more pop up after
    treating and stopping the fert rounds?

9. Wayne Snyder

Wayne Snyder Member

I use a simple premixed liquid seven to spray my plants with and have great success controlling pests. I spray under the leaves also and spray once a week for best results. Spraying must stop 3 days before harvesting anything from the plants. The fertilizer to use is slow release type. There are several brands to choose from that all work the same. It is also good to spray after it rains to recoat the plants. If you already have the leaf mites then you have to use the miticide first as the other person stated. Alabama U.S.A.