Identification: Id lace leaf red jm please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by garcrob, Apr 23, 2010.

1. garcrob

garcrob Member

first one i just pruchased a week ago and it had the wrong tag on it, i picked it up for $15.99 so i got a good deal, but need to know what it is so i can properly take care of it.

I brought it inside because we had a bad storm and i didn't want it to get overwatered.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Is it grafted ?

4. garcrob

garcrob Member

not sure if it was or not.

5. cthenn

cthenn Active Member

What tag was on it?

Where did you get it? If you got it from a knowledgeable nursery, perhaps they just made a mistake...could you go back and ask?

In any case, you can't go wrong with the standard JM care procedure...morning sun, afternoon shade. Good draining soil, etc...

6. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Unfortunately I don't know that you can determine without a doubt what exact cultivar it is, but it looks a lot like Inaba shidare. It looks like it may be grafted there at about 8 or 10 inches; you should be able to see a slight wound and a slight change in the color or texture of the bark if it is grafted.

I would personally care for it as if it was an Inaba shidare, because it resembles Inaba shidare with that dark purple red coloration and big bold leaf lobes. Calling it a dissectum atropurpureum would be more correct since we can't say for certain without confirmation that it is grafted or rooted from a cutting. However, if it were an Inaba shidare it would keep its deep coloration better in a slightly shadier location than most generic dissectum atropurpureums would. Most of them require a good amount of sunlight to develop and keep the best red to purple coloration.

Hope I didn't add confusion.

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

one of the most common grafted dissectums with that color and growing habit is Acer palmatum 'Tamukeyama' but the realist fact is it is just a red dissectum since a great percentage of inexpensive grafted trees are far from the true colors of the original tree that are so names after. The most important thing is, "enjoy your tree".

8. Acer Glade

Acer Glade Member

Based on the 3rd pix, it has seven lobes and toothed margin, it is likely to be a
    Acer Palmatum (Dissectum Group) 'Red Dragon'. Needs protection from summer drought and cold wind.

9. garcrob

garcrob Member

thanks for the replies, I think it very well may be a red dragon, someone else in another forum said the same thing.

10. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

That thing is so red.. haha