Best/Fastest way to level a yard

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by faraza, Apr 19, 2010.

1. faraza

faraza Member

Hello,

I have a new house and have finally decided to decorate the backyard. I noticed that when it rains, water usually does not drain very well and I have a feeling that in that situation my plants may not do that well. I do have some grass growing there thought I think its mostly Crab grass. The options I have been presented with are as follows:

A) Level the yard with Top soil and then sprinkle grass seeds or lay pre-grown grass.

B) Make a small ditch like drain that run out of the yard to the street and have paver sand on the base of it with river pebbles on the top

C) My parents favorite choice, dont do anything!

Any suggestion on which one to go with?

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

What size and how deep are the wet spots in your yard? You could sprinkle sand and grass seed to slowly, over years, raise the finished grade or add sandy topsoil to level the yard, firm it and sow grass seeds.

You might be able to raise the low spots by lifting the sod levelling soil and relaying and establishing the grass.

You could accept the wet spots and build a rain garden and incorporate the low spots into your garden design.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Your 'crabgrass' may be St Augustine grass. It favors poorly drained areas like Houston.
    In this part of the world most grasses are grown from sod/sprigs or plugs, so seeds not
    an option unless you're growing common Bermudagrass. As long as you have positive
    drainage away from the dwelling I'd suggest just filling the low spots with sand or soil
    or better yet turn those areas into a Bog Garden. It would grow Canna, Hardy Hibiscus
    Louisiana Iris and Taro quite well.

4. faraza

faraza Member

Thank you for your response.

Its not lumpy but it has dips as if the yard sank in some places.