Can anybody identify this plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by django, Apr 17, 2010.

1. django

django Member

I have a tiny plant in my greenhouse pod.After this deciduous tree give green leaves recently,I realized that I don't know what it is.In fact I collect tropical fruit and flowering plants in my balcony greenhouse.The leaves of the plant is look like hornbeam(carpinus) leaf.But it isn't.Because my greenhouse is relatively sterile.Hope the picture is OK for you.Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Might be Celtis sp.

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

For the moment, that's a good guess.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with Celtis; in İstanbul, it will be Celtis australis. Some very nice large specimens in the Topkapı Palace gardens.

5. django

django Member

Dear repliers,
    Yes, the leaves look like celcis but my son remembered me that(I am not so old but those teenagers have wonderful memory!) it was an small ornamental tree or bush which we collected from a friendly local garden and rooted from a tiny branch.(He said it had yellow flowers!)
    Dear garden lovers,is this information is enough for you?I still wonder what it is.Thanks.

6. django

django Member

Dear Michael F.I am very pleased that you are familiar with Istanbul local plant specimens!Istanbul is not rich in case of botanical gardens. But in the future,if you are going to be in Istanbul and want to see the local or endemic variaties, I will advice you three gardens.

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Kerria japonica?

8. django

django Member

Should I scream 'Bingo!'.
    I think it should be Kerria Japonica.
    After I received saltcedar reply,I took a look at google both info and pictures.
    A moderate climate ornamental tree,hardy,small,rose like flowers,leaves make white stripes when matured.O.K.
    I think I will transfer this plant to the garden as soon as I find suitable place!