Acer palmatum 'Beni maiko' new growth wilted

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ganseki, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Ganseki

Ganseki Member

Hi every one,

I hope this is where I can post this question, (I'm new here). This spring I have received a young liner of Acer Palmatum 'Beni maiko'. I repotted it as normal,(I have about 15 other various potted A.P.'s) It leafed-out beautifully then all the new growth wilted. All the plants are together in a protective cove of my house. None of the other plant have a problem, infact this year they're more beautiful. I never had anything like this happened with my maples. Roses yes, I think due to refrigeration storage. Is this a bad graft? Should I ask the grower for a replacment or is this a situation where I swallow my loses? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Welcome Ganseki.

See this thread Maple spring sudden wilt from the maple FAQ section for some discussion of similar problems. Maybe someone will have more specific advice.

3. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

This is an unfortunate problem with purchasing small liners because maples up to about 3 years old are prone to wilting in early spring and it appears to be related to a combination of cold injury on the root system (all plants are more likely to get damaged when in containers) and excessive moisture during late winter/early spring. I think everyone has lost a few young maples to this if they've been growing small ones for any length of time. Improved drainage and more protection of the root system will help ease some of the losses.

If you purchased the tree last year I doubt you can do anything because the damage likely occurred while under your care. If you received the maple in late spring, I would consider contacting the seller for a replacement. We can save some money and get a better variety of maples by purchasing small trees, but we must be prepared to lose a few along the way.

4. Ganseki

Ganseki Member

Thank you for your help 'maf' and 'mattiwfowler'. ( This forum is incredible! I've been lost on hear reading and reading and reading for months now. This web site's like a huge labyrinth of knowledge.) Your info. kind-a makes me feel a little better now. It's good but sad knowing this happens some-what commonly I forgot to state the graft was with me for about a six weeks now, so I think I'll contact the grower and see what happens.
    Thanks again for your time and help!

5. STi

STi Active Member

Any chance you over watered it or soil does not drain well? Wet feet will do this.

6. Ganseki

Ganseki Member

Yes STi I have thought about that and thanks for your input. Spring seems to be the most difficult time period for yearling graft's.

If it is over watering I'll be scratching my head - "corn-fuuused" because this baby is one of six new arrivals, of which, the other five are doing splendid. ( I'm an equal opportunity nurturer.) So, after reading the proper thread for this topic (thanks 'maf'), I'm now wondering if some new grafts have a weaker root system. While the top growth looks the same for a one year, the unseen root system might not and be weak, Which in a nursery environment would go undetected. Then put the graft through the stress of shipping and a new environment, it might not be able to cope, which in turn brings me back to your point, where it might lead to being over watered. (can ya tell I love short replies)