Has anyone tried growing Japanese Maples in limestone rocky soil?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lou midlothian Tx, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Lou midlothian Tx

Lou midlothian Tx Member

Has anyone have tried growing Japanese Maples in limestone rocky soil? That's what I have Acer truncatum plants and they have no problem growing in this awful soil in full sun where it's 95*F or hotter all summer long. I hope to try some Japanese maple in this soil when A.t. trees are large enough to provide some shade.

I have ten A.t. around my house on .20 acre lot including '4 Fire Dragon' which produces consistent red fall color, 'Skinny Dragon', 'Golden Dragon' and some regular A.t.

I have A.t. 'Blaine's Dragon' growing in the pot right now. Too small to plant in the yard that stray dog or kids could destroy easily. It's another one that produce consistent red fall color. I'm also planting another one that I grew from seed. The summer growth is quite eye catching. It glows in the sun. I'm going to attach the picture of it.

Hopefully by fall when trees are bigger, I'd plant a few cheap Japanese Maples to see how they do in my soil. Maybe Seriyu, Tamakeyuma, Fireglow to name a few. Metro Maples in Fort Worth has many different maples to choose from so that'd be hard to decide...

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Lou, I don't garden on limestone myself, but I do know that Japanese maples will be fine in limestone soils up to a PH of 7.5. Here is a link to a good article from a British website: Suitable garden soils for a Japanese maple.

3. Lou midlothian Tx

Lou midlothian Tx Member

Thanks! Maybe I will make a trip to Metro Maples and get me cheap small ones to grow in larger Rootmaker container to promote superior root system before planting out this fall.