Weed or flower ident

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ispied, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Does anyone know what this invasive plant is? I thought it was Queen Anne's lace as it gets the same blooms or quite similar. It grows about 3 or so feet, and spreads via roots.

Attached Files:

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

It's nasty aegopodium podagraria; difficult to get rid of. You must keep digging up the bits n pieces over time. Someone online suggests using the garden claw or similar tool to twist in the surface of the soil to collect roots.

3. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Thanks Debby. It's a spring chore of mine to dig at with a dandelion digger and follow the root as far as I can - it's crawling over to my yard under the fence from my neighbors yard. I have been able to keep it at bay somewhat over the last several yrs. Thanks also for the suggestion on the claw, I'll try that and see if I have more success.

4. Sidney

Sidney Member

Just make sure in clearing it out that you don't leave any bits of the rhizome behind as it can re-root and grow new plants. Probably want to use a method that doesn't mangle and tear the plant. Remove it in as few pieces as possible. And, make sure the remains thoroughly dry out or are well composted (compost pile is hot). Or, throw in in community compost/garden waste bag for removal.

5. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Thank you for the information - the dandelion digger I use is quite long and am able to gently pull it little by little like a string - I just can't get to the main root as it starts in the neighbors yard - ugh!