Will periwinkle cover rocks?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sharan, Apr 5, 2010.

1. sharan

sharan Member

hiya guys, will periwinkle grow over rocks?

2. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

Periwinkle will grow long stems, adorn with it's glossy leaves and bright eyes blue flowers, that will trial over the rock easily.
    If planted in and around and at the base of the rocks, even between the rocks, then let them take off, soon the rocks will almost be unseen.
    I have periwinkle and not because I planted it. I am trying to get rid of it Lol.
    I find that the roots are everywhere in the adjacent garden, even where the periwinkle isn't rooted!
    Once established, I find that Periwinkle is hard to get rid of.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yes. Over rocks, over small shrubs, trees and ferns etc!
    I have just spent this morning trying to rescue our small smothered plants from this very pretty creeper.

4. sharan

sharan Member

ok that may be an option for me then to cover the whole area, but then again i dont want it to be problematic in the future if someone else owns the home in years to come

5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

That's nice of you to consider the implications of your gardening choices upon others who may someday live there.

One thing to consider is that periwinkle, though hardy and aggressive, does depend on a good supply of sunlight to thrive. If you are also planting trees and large shrubs, they will (in time) cast shade on the periwinkle, which will dampen its vigor and allow other, more less rampant specimens to compete.

It's also possible (or maybe probable) that a future occupant would be a non-gardener -- most people seem to be. So this person might appreciate a carefree, evergreen ground cover as an alternative to needy lawn grass.

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sorry to disagree kaspian, but ours is growing under the high canopy of trees and a lower shrub cover. It is extremely vigorous, even although in shade for most of the day. However, due to this shade, it does not flower as well as it would in full sun.

7. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

Ours too, growing under a canopy of cedar trees.
    It gets some early morning sun. Otherwise pretty much shaded.
    I find this plant invasive and hard to get rid of as I am finding roots of this palnt everywhere in the gardens coming off the bank that it is currently growing in.
    If I were to plant it, which I wouldn't even consider, it would be on the outside perimeter of the property line, if anywhere.
    I don't suggest planting in or near a garden area as one may come to regret it in a few years.
    That is my own opinion. I imagine it would depend on what else you are planning on putting in around the area and the look that you are striving for.